Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever a call comes through the wireless internet stops working until after the call has been completed, I was wondering if there was a quick and easy fix for this.
I believe the phone also interferes with a direct, ethernet cord connection but I have not had a chance to confirm it.
Our internet is provided by Cox High Speed Internet, we have a webstar(Can't find a model number) cable modem which feeds into our wireless Belkin g plus router(Model number is "f5d7231-4").

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts
Re: Wireless internet and landline phone problem

I'd suspect that the wireless phone is stepping on the router's wireless signal.

Try changing the router's channel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

To ITBL: Yes we have a wireless phone attached to our land line, I would say it is six-seven years old.

To johnwill: How do I change my wireless channel?

To rosiesdad: How do I tell if I am on DSL and if I am how do I put a filter on the phone?

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hello David,
A wireless phone of that age probably runs on the same frequency as your router.
You can replace the phone to eliminate the issue
You could go into the routers setup to change the wireless channel, but there is not alot of adjustment allowed and it may not help.

You mentioned that you have cox high speed and a cable modem so it is not DSL and the filter is not required.

http://www.ITBusinessLabs.com
Professional Computer Services with over 17 years of experience.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts

That's the the make or model of the router, try looking on the label on the bottom of the router.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts

Change the wireless channel on the router, in the US I like channels 1, 6, and 11 as my first choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hello David.lewing,
If you still have the manual follow the instructions for connecting to the administration page. You will use your web browser. If you need more help post the brand of router, linksys/netgear or other.

http://www.ITBusinessLabs.com
Professional Computer Services with over 17 years of experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

After I changed the setting two of our three Vista computers could no longer connect, I changed the settings back but they still won't connect. My XP computer doesn't have a problem.

It says something like this,

The settings saved on this computer for this network do not match the requirements of the network.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts

Change the channel to the working channel.
Remove ALL the stored wireless profiles from the XP computers and search for networks again.
Enter the correct encryption key, and they'll connect.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

The XP computer doesn't have a problem, it was two of the vista computers. I do not know what an encryption key is, how do I find out what ours is?
I cannot find a way to remove the stored wireless profiles.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts

The encryption key is set in the router's configuration for the wireless capability.

1. In the Network and Sharing Center, under Tasks on the left side, click Manage wireless networks to bring up the Manage Wireless Networks window.

2. Right-click the SSID (network name) that displays in the list and choose Properties from the menu.

3. Click to clear the "Connect to a more preferred network if available" checkbox.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.