Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am with Virgin media (UK) and have the 20mbps fiber optic connection. My area has recently been having problems with the broadband and Virgin has recently fixed these problems. However I used to get around 19mbps now that the problem is fixed my computer which is wired to the router gets about 0.4mbps downstream... However the 5 wireless computers all get 16mbps which is pretty good for them.

I'm know a little about computers and have searched high and low for a solution. Windows tells me that its a firewall issue and I currently can't use two programs, spotify and steam. They both have firewall issues, even if I turn off my firewall which is the windows one. I also have avast, and when I turn that off, still no good. I used OpenDNS, stopped using that flushed my DNS, that didnt work. I tried to optimize my computer settings, by changing various values in Regedit (followed a guide online). All of this has done nothing.

I should add that I have recently re-installed Windows 7 so on this fresh install it has never had decent internet speed. Which I thought was weird.. I have basically had these problems since the fresh install. All of my drivers are up to date.

So I am completely at a loss. I thought that it might be Virgin specifically slowing my computer down, but I have no idea if that is even possible and I am probably being paranoid...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
Re: Wireless computer internet speed 16mbps, wired computer 0.4mbps

Hi Will172,

Post your speedtest results.

Provide an ipconfig /all of your computer while it's wired directly to the router.
Click on Start => in run or search box type cmd, choose run as Admin press enter. Open up a command prompt then Copy and Paste these ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt . Please attach the .txt file to be found in your Local Disk 'C' on your next post

·
Registered
104 Posts

Hi Will,

Please do the above as 2xg has mentioned.

Also, in an effort to troubleshoot, have you tried disabling the wireless connection on one of the computers running at 16Mbit wireless and running it through the wired lan? That way, you can try to narrow the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just tried connecting a laptop with a wire and this is the speed result.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1218904348.png

So its still not near 16mb.. but its slightly better... So does that mean a router problem? Or a area problem? Or is Virgin doing something?

Thanks for the help by the way forget to say that before!

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Thanks for the speedtest results and it's not even close to the 20mbps speed.

Can you pls. switch your LAN setting to 'Obtain DNS Automatically'? then followed by the ipconfig /release press enter then ipconfig /renew press enter
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
Doesn't seems to be fixed, you might want to give them a call again.
My area has recently been having problems with the broadband and Virgin has recently fixed these problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah tried that before, did help, but done it again and I get the same speedtest result.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So chances are it is my ISP, it makes sense, they told me they were going to sort some stuff out because the usage in my area is to high, not the download, the upload. Its a student area so loads of bittorrent etc... lovely. Well thanks very much for your help 2xg, much appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Phoned the ISP this morning and the fella told me to in the wireless settings change the speed from 54mbps to 145mbps and it worked straigh away 19.1mpbs speed... Man did I feel stupid.. thanks for all your help though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.