Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Equipment:
Asus A8JS (half year old)
C2D 7200, 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard disk (no partitions)
ZoneAlarm 7 Suite
A2squared free

Condition:
Original Windows XP root directory: C:\Windows

My Asus laptop has suffered an inoperable condition (please prove me wrong)

I've been playing Rakion on my Windows XP Pro Sp2 (Fully updated) and my laptop suffered a crash, I was able to see the computer responding with Ctrl-Alt-Del but could not see the windows; so I do what usually works for me: put the laptop on standby...successfully.

Upon waking the laptop up, it immediately shuts itself off (no warnings or shutdown signs...just straight pull-the-plug action)

After turning the laptop on (on the 5th go, the first 4 resulted in no reponse or what seems like immediate power failure), I get this message ---> Operating system missing!

:upset:

Next thing that comes to mind -> Windows XP CD, start recovery console.
:eek:
It shows that a D drive is now the root directory and my windows folder has become D:\Windows.
I notice nothing has changed, except C drive has System recovery information and some files that contain A8JS backup files.

I have also tried FixMBR and FixRoot, other methods included reinstalling Windows on USB Hard disk, installing windows again on D:\WinXP

Note: C drive now only has 5gb, with 1.1gb free, which is insufficient to install windows on.

After reinstalling, I noticed the message "Operating system missing" is...missing...
Now its a black screen after BIOS!

Anybody with the similar experiences or can offer ideas?
I'm under the impression it is corrupted files...but have no experience in this field at all!

Looking forward to adding more knowledge in my brain~ Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: WinXP operating system missing - HELP PLS!

Your laptop might be overheated and damaged the HD. Check the fan and use HD diag tool to scan your hard for physical problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for your reply icyfire!

Currently I am only able to access the BIOS and if I insert Windows XP cd; the Recovery console.

How do I check for these?

T

·
0 Posts

Hi Squeals and welcome to TSF :wave:

Yes this could be the issue but it is unlikely that heat would damage the HD so much that the spindle created a new partition and moved all of Windows to it. It sort of seems unlikely but yes this is a possibility. At this point I will direct you to do a full format and reinstallation of Windows. Have your Windows disk and Product Key handy as you will need it.

Access the BIOS and set your computer in the Boot Options to boot from the CD-ROM first. Then restart the computer and tap any key when the prompt comes up. Hit enter, accept the license aggrement and get to the format and partition section. I would like you to delete the two partitions (C: and D:). Then this should become unpartitioned space. Hit Enter to install on this new partitioned space and format it all. Then when this is done let your computer run through and don't tap the key again. Let it go as it would normally boot up and it will go on to the GUI (Graphic User Interface) phase of the installation. Run through it, enter your Product key, and finish the installation.

NOTE: Formatting your HD will delete all contents on it including your old Windows, all files, and all programs. We will be starting from scratch. If you would like to you can buy an external 2.5 casing for the drive and connect it into another computer through USB. It will act as removable storage and you can extract your files and write them to a disk as needed.

If you have any questions please feel free to post back and ask. :smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Thanks a lot for your detailed help techpro!!

I agree with what your saying absolutely, and hope for the best that the laptop will be resurrected after a complete wipe. However I'm going to have to leave that to the very last resort, simply because there are some items on the laptop I'd like to salvage.

Am I correct to be under the assumption that your advice about buying an external 2.5 casing for the LAPTOP HDD will make it possible to turn it into a USB HDD?

(*Actually could somebody please direct me to a page where I can read about taking a LAPTOP HDD and placing it in an 2.5" enclosure, turning it into a USB HDD?*)

Is there any other possible methods to back up the content?
Or will I have to call up laptop repairs person to open the laptop up for me?

Thanks again!!

T

·
0 Posts

This sort of strikes me as funny because we usually direct the person we are talking to open the laptop. I will do as such and I will show you the precautions to getting your HD out. Also, at this point there are two ways to do this the advanced and novice level ways:

1. The 1st way is what I have stated above. Buy a 2.5 External enclosure and connect to a working PC to back up all data.

2. The expert level way is change the jumpers (if an IDE) and slave it to another computer but I really do recommend just buying the enclosure as it is quicker and easier.

No there is really no other way to back up your data at this point as your computer will not boot up. Here is where the HD instructions about taking it out comes up:

1. Rub your hands against some type of non-painted metal, any metal will do.
2. Disconnect all peripherals and devices including the AC Adapter
3. Take out the battery
4. Turn the laptop over and take a Phillips screw driver out :smile:
5. Look for the HD Slot and remove
6. When it is removed make sure not to touch its pins and make sure you don't set it down where there could be static electricity like a carpet

If you dont want to do it the old way, yes you can give it to you repair person and tell him to take out the Hard Drive for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Am tryin to get my hands on a SATA 2.5 enclosure, any difference between SATA and SATA2?

Out of curiosity, for my problem, is the MBR directly responsible for the symptoms? and where is it stored? (HDD or BIOS?)

Thanks for looking this way and taking the time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you very much techpro5238!
I am now back in Windows after deleting both partitions and recreating one C: from XP install cd.

I hope this has helped whoever else has the same problems!
Cheers!

T

·
0 Posts
Outofmydepth: Please start your own thread, by starting a new topic and reply back here with the link to your thread :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.