Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
split from http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10...nutes-or-more-to-startup-resolved-142326.html

I am having similar problems. As stated in this thread, regarding the 4-5 min start up. I've read through this entirely and didn't resolve my issues. I still have this enourmus wait time, which in fact happened all of the sudden. I am running XP service pk 2. Are there any new findings to this issue? I see many hits on the internet w/ this issue but never really see any clear resolution. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Windows XP Takes 5 Minutes Or More To Startup! (RESOLVED)

I am having similar problems. As stated in this thread, regarding the 4-5 min start up. I've read through this entirely and didn't resolve my issues. I still have this enourmus wait time, which in fact happened all of the sudden. I am running XP service pk 2. Are there any new findings to this issue? I see many hits on the internet w/ this issue but never really see any clear resolution. Thanks
hi there..
there are many condition that makes ur booting is longer (and could be increasing) which is software and hardware.
during first bootup, Win will load all service and drivers. if ur hardware is damaged/partially damage, driver will have difficulty working, makes Win takes time.. while poor hardisk condition is 1 of the factor since all Win file goes to hardisk, so if there's bad sector, ur Win gonna take more minutes...
so, using deleted reference to illegal software, check ur hardisk, memory and other basic device..

good luck..

·
Custom User Title
1,885 Posts
Re: Windows XP Takes 5 Minutes Or More To Startup! (RESOLVED)

@Tomween1
Please start a new thread. Then more people will look at your problem and help you get it resolved.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Re: Windows XP takes 4-5 minutes to startup

Hi Tomween1 and welcome to TSF !

I moved your question to a new thread. We prefer to keep one thread per user to prevent confusion.

What's the brand and model of your computer ? If it's a custom build then what are your complete system specs ? Check the link in my sig.

What security programs do you use ? What antivirus, what firewall, anti-spywares, ... are installed ?

Enter the BIOS at startup (press del or look for some "press xx to enter setup" message) and search for some hardware monitor. Report your temps, fan speeds and voltages.

You state that the issue started all of a sudden, can you remember exactly when it started ? Had you installed any new software of hardware ? If the problem is fairly recent (a few days at most) you could use system restore to restore the computer to a prior state. Start => all programs => accessories => system tools => system restore. Take note of all bold dates between now and the one you'll restore the computer to, you may need to reinstall the programs and updates installed inbetween. Also backup any file you saved on your desktop or in your documents folder between the restore date and now.

Let's see if we can find evidences of errors in the system. Go to start => run and type devmgmt.msc to access the device manager. Go to view and tick "show hidden devices". Report here if you see any tagged device in the list (with a red cross or yellow exclamation point in front of its name).

Restart the computer then go to start => run and type eventvwr.msc to access the event viewer. Search the application, system and security sections for errors happening since you've restarted the computer. Double-click the error, click on the third button on the right (this copies the information in the memory) then right-click paste it here. No need to report the same error (= save event number and same source) more than once.

Else let's try to clean your system a bit. Please do the following in the provided order :

Run the disk cleanup utility on the system drive (usually c:) : start => all programs => accessories => system tools => disk cleanup. Tick everything except compress old files (this can have a negative impact on the system's performances). Then right-click the c: drive under my computer and click properties. How much free space is there left ?

Check the drive for errors : start => run => chkdsk c: /R. The /R switch will also scan the drive's surface for bad clusters, it'll take some time (1-2 hours, maybe more). You'll be promted to restart the computer and the scan will run at startup.

Defrag the drive : start => all programs => accessories => system tools => disk defragmenter. Click on the defrag button to start defragmenting your drives. It'll also take a while and will require some free space on the drive (usually 15%).

This should eliminate most hard drive related issues. Next step is to check what programs start with Windows and are runnning in the background. Lots of them aren't needed and use the cpu and memory unecessarily.

Download and run process explorer. Click file => save as and attach the resulting .txt file to your next post using the manage attachments button (cick on post reply or go advanced to see that button).

Download and run Autoruns. This program will tell you about everything that loads at startup. Please don't untick anything there unless you know exactly what you're doing or were advised to do some by some knowledgeable person. Look at the items you see under
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Star Menu\Programs\Startup
and
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
Check the names you see in the first column there in BleepingComputer's startup item databse. Be warned that several items can have the same name, the location and the description are important to differentiate a genuine XP system file from a virus disguising itself as one. Read the description on bleepingcomputer's website and get rid of what you're absolutely certain you don't need.

Please check these guides for more informations :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/security-center/hijackthis-log-help/247567-your-pc-running-slow.html
How to troubleshoot & optimize a slow startup
Getting the most out of your windows xp based system with optimisation

·
Registered
85 Posts

have you noticed the hardisk LED indicator?
if it on continuously for 4-5 min, it means windows have difficulty reading files needed at the beginning of booting up windows.

if it just off, something wrong with windows...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Pardon me for my absence, I have been incapacitated w/ health issues.
JUSTPASSINGBY, here are some of the issues I am seeing. During my absence my system had caught the XP Windowx Virus. It took some doing but it has been disinfected. One other thing I have noted since the original post, I can no longer change my Display Properties, Settings (borders, fonts, colors etc...) Though on the advanced settings the changes show, after hitting apply they never apply. None the less, here's what you asked for.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: crypt32
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8
Date: 9/15/2008
Time: 3:02:56 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THOM
Description:
Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from: <http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/authrootseq.txt> with error: This network connection does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Time: 11:15:30 AM
Description:
The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7000
Time: 10:05:43 AM
Description:
The MCSTRM service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Source: ipnathlp
Event ID: 32003
Date: 9/14/2008
Time: 1:19:58 PM
Description:
The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernel-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code.

Data:
0000: 1f 00 00 00 ....

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Date: 9/14/2008
Time: 11:45:55 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
DCOM got error "The service database is locked. " attempting to start the service winmgmt with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}

DHCP & DCOM errors are frequent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you for your assistance. Through the help of my Comcast/McAfee we were able to clear up the lag.

This having been cured has left me with another issue. Could someone please send me in a direction that may help fix this issue. I can no longer change the Display Properties/Appearance Settings. When I click on the Advanced option the window pops up and shows the settings I have created (Color, Font, Border etc...). After Hitting Apply, the screen dims (as normal) as if it were applying the changes but does not install them anywhere but in the advanced setting window?

This all seems to have happened during my removal of spyware.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts

Hi again !

Run sfc /scannow (mind the space between sfc and /scannow) to reset some defaults registry settings and repair possibly corrupt system files and see if it helps. You may be prompted to insert your XP CD. There's a bug with XP Home that makes sfc ask for the XP Pro CD, just keep hitting retry. If it asks for an XP Home SP2 or SP3 CD and your CD is from a previous version you can create one with the right service pack if you google for "slipstream SP2" or "slipstream SP3".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.