Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Emachines T5246, with a Athlon 2.2 ghz processor and 2 gig of RAM. It was given to me without a hard drive. I am now running XP Pro on the machine and finally got all the drivers installed and it is operating stable. The only thing I haven't had the time for is the Media Card Reader driver yet.

The computer came from the factory running Vista Home Premium. If I upgrade it from XP Pro to 7, am I gonna have driver issues again? Or SHOULD Win7 support all the drivers that were originally on the machine?

To be honest, I'm not really sure if I should even upgrade as I am comfortable with XP, however it is a brand new install, and if I am gonna do it, I would rather do it now than after I get a bunch of things on the computer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: Windows XP Pro to Win7

Second that above, run the advisor and use vista drivers if win7 drivers aren't available.

Sadly, you will always have to reinstall drivers with a new OS, and win7 isn't exactly the most compatible OS I've used.

For example, took me a long long time to find relaible drivers for my realtek on board audio because 5.1 wasn't (and still isn't) working properly.

What I'd do if I were you is search in google for windows 7 and your hardware. See if anybody is having any issues.

You can always duel boot to test win7 first, and if you do intall, get the 64 bit version. Win7 is tons better than xp.

..and, yeh, upgrade that ram.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Windows XP Pro to Win7

Trust me, I would LOVE to upgrade the RAM, but it is maxed out at 2GB on the board. Thanks for the advise though, I'll have to see what a version of Win7 is going for to see if it is in the 'budget' at the moment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.