Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very stupidly shut down my computer during the "system updates... do not power off or unplug" and now Windows 7 is exceptionally slow to log in or do anything at all.

I system restored it to a point a week before the shutdown incident and I also then installed all the missing updates but it is only marginally better. It still takes about 30 - 60 minutes to log in.

Any ideas on what is wrong would be greatly appreciated thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Re: Windows v. slow after shutting down during system updates

Hi ariana44,

Is it the same when you boot in to Safe Mode? Tap F8 whilst the computer is first starting up and then choose Safe Mode when prompted. Report back whether this improves it or not.

Was it Service Pack 1 that you were installing? You could also try uninstalling it, then rebooting and then try re-installing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thegift73, thank you so much for replying!
I did boot in safe mode and that was fine, but it didn't improve anything after I tried booting in normal mode again.

Service Pack 1 was one of the updates but it couldn't install it and still can't. The others were a Windows Live Essentials and a Malicious Software Removal Tool Update but they installed without any problems.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Hi ariana44,

Service Pack 1 was one of the updates but it couldn't install it and still can't
Do you get any error codes when SP1 tries to install?

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. (from the Microsoft site)

Can you also try to disable any anti-virus that you may have. (which one do you have?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi thanks that error is resolved now and I managed to install SP1. I can also disable my Norton Antivirus. Nothing much has changed with regards to slowness unfortunately. Would it be easier to just get all my files off the laptop and then just reboot it? Would that fix it?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Glad you managed to fix it. I'd actually completely remove Norton using the Norton Removal Tool and then install Microsoft Security Essentials instead as it's more reliable and will cause you less headaches in the future. It's less bloaty and is free.

Once you have done the suggested above, can you download and install Autoruns and run it. Let it generate all the information (shouldn't take long) then go File>Save and save the AutoRuns.arn file to the desktop. Zip it and attach it back. Basically want to have a look and see if we can figure out what may be interfering to cause your system to be slow.

Could you also give us your full system specs as well. If you are unsure what your specs are, download and run Speccy, then when it's generated the information (about 10 seconds) go File>Save as text file, and attach that as well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

No problem.

Looking at your AutoRuns file there are quite a few things starting up with the computer that don't necessarily need to. I can also see in the Internet Explorer tab (in AutoRuns) that you have 4 Tool Bars installed (they may be hidden, but they are installed) They are:

Google Tool Bar
Conduit Toolbar
Vuze Remote Toolbar (this is part of the Conduit Toolbar above)
Media Bar Link Libary

Unless you really need these, I'd uninstall them via add/remove in Control panel.
Most toolbars are normally accidentally installed when other programs are installed and people miss a check box during the install that add a toolbar to all browser and sometimes changes the Homepage as well)

Also, go Window Key+R and type MSCONFIG and hit OK.
Under 'Services tab', tick 'Hide all Microsoft Services' and then uncheck the remaining programs and 'Apply'
Then under 'Startup tab' - Uncheck anything not Microsoft related then 'Apply' and OK

Then reboot and see if that helps. Trying to see if a program or something else may be interfering. This way if it has improved a bit, you can go back into msconfig and re-check the programs under both tabs one-by-one to see where the issue is.

If this is still not helping we will start to look at the hard drive for bad sectors and run a chkdsk /r, but will leave this until later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

wow thanks it is much faster now, logging in took me only a minute. when I am re-checking the programs how do I test which one is affecting the system? must I restart each time?
cheers :)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Glad to heat it.

Yes, unfortunately it's a slow process, but if your boot time is better then it should be better. If you have stopwatch on your phone or something, that would help really pint the program, as it may be a couple of them that are contributing to it. Start on the 'Services' tab and tick a program and do the same with the corresponding program under the 'Startup' tab (easier to do it by manufacturer)

I have all of mine unchecked on my computer at home, because if I need to use a program, I'll just open it up in the normal way.

Start with your Toshiba programs first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So it's ok to just leave them unchecked and open them as and when they're needed? Brilliant, it is so much quicker. Thank you so much for all your help! You've been a lifesaver!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

I have mine that way at home and haven't noticed any issues. As long as the Microsoft ones are starting up (you hid Microsoft Services under the 'Services' tab so they will be starting) and your AV (Microsoft Security Essentials) is also starting with the computer, then you should be fine. Yep, just open any program as and when you need it.

Glad it all worked out for you. Post back if you have any other problems, otherwise can you mark this as 'Solved' at the top Thread Tools>Mark as Solved

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.