Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have the same 4 updates for the last 2weeks to be updated every time I used windows update. They are for Netframework 2.0...Kb2656352, kb2518864, kb2572073 and kb 2539631. They have a green tick saying they have been installed in Windows update history. They are installed in add and remove programs.

I have done everything in the Microsoft help page I.E downloading the 4 updates and installing them in safe mode.Uninstalling them and reinstalling them. Using Microsoft fix it and Microsoft Fix it 50202.

Should I just hide the updates?

Are they really installed properly?

Is there some other fix so they won't show up next time I search for the lastest updates on Windows update website?

any ideas?

Cheers

Uly

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts
Re: Windows Update same 4 updates?

run the dotnetfx-cleanup-tool uninstall all versions of .NET Framework. Go back to Windows Update and download all of the .NET Frameworks in the proper order, leaving 4.0 and 4.5 for last.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

spunk.funk - I used the dotnetfx-cleanup-tool to uninstall all versions of .netframework.

I went to windows update and there was no updates for .netframework.

So I downloaded .netframework 1.0 but it won't install. I get an error 1935.

What do I do now? I have no .netframework on my pc at all???

Uly

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts

Restart the computer. Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. In the Add Remove Programs check the box Show Updates. Scroll down to Microsoft .NET Framework and confirm you do not have any. If you still have them, run the cleanup tool again.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ok it looked like I still had .netframework 3.5 hiding in there after the cleanup tool when thru.

After cleaning that up I went to windows update. netframework 1.1 still wont install. There was also a download for netframework 3.5. It said it was for users that had no netframework or 1.0 on there systems. So I installed that and it worked. I then got the rest of the updates for netframework.

I now have on my system .netframework 2.0 service pack 2, .netframework 3.0 service pack 2, .netframework 3.5 service pack 1, .netframework 4.0 client profile, .netframework 4 extended.

There are no more updates in windows updates. Finally :)

I guess I didn't need the 1.0 or 1.1 .netframework as it's included in .netframework 2.0?

The 4 updates that kept showing themselves in windows update installed and are not showing up again :)

I won't get .netframework 4.5 just yet till it's a release to the public stable version.

So I guess i'm all up to date then?

Thanks Spunk.funk for all your help. Very much Appreciated!

Cheers

Uly

·
Premium Member
41,823 Posts

You are welcome! Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just wanted to say thank you to spunk.funk for this solution. It worked great in solving my same issue that I've been battling with for over a week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thank you spunk.funk.. i have been surfing around the web for a solution. and tried everything from windows customer support to installing and uninstalling the updates. after stumbling upon this post, my problems were solved. this forum will now be the first thing i search through for answers. tq again.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Go back to Windows Update and download all of the .NET Frameworks in the proper order, leaving 4.0 and 4.5 for last.
Hey thanks much for this fix. I had read another convoluted thread regarding AV programs and registry cleanup tools (the latter which I will now stop using) and thought to myself "why not just wipe out all dot net and start over clean?"

My big question here is this - how so I know what the "proper order" of installation is?

I have done probably 100 windows installs since win98 came out and whenever I do a clean XP install I just let windows do it however it wants via update, is that what you are suggesting?

I tried googling it and got a bunch of application-specific or platform-specific types of Q & A, nothing that really covered a general "install this first, then this, etc etc"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I performed the steps in item #5 three times yet still have Microsoft .NET Framework and 3.5 SP1 showing. I click on 3.5 SP1 to uninstall it and get a message that the action is only valid for installed items, so evidently all .NET Framework has uninstalled.
What is the purpose of .NET Framework? Could my computer operate just fine without it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the same thing, KB963707 won't go away. Ran cleanup 2x and rebooted. I go to uninstall via add/remove and the error is "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed." Hmmm well if it's not installed then why is it installed LOL

KB963707 is the .NET assistant for Firefox...looking it up now...

This is now happening on every computer in our office. What the $%@#! microsoft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could this be a problem with only certain browsers?
I used IE to download the dotnetfix program, but generally use Chrome as my browser, but also have Firefox 4, Safari, Opera.

Microsoft Works is the biggest oxymoron of all time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well 2 for 2 PCs now had those 3 updates ( KB2518864 KB2572073 KB2633880 ) listed and it took them all the first time and no return...crossing fingers on the rest

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have the same 4 updates for the last 2weeks to be updated every time I used windows update. They are for Netframework 2.0...Kb2656352, kb2518864, kb2572073 and kb 2539631. They have a green tick saying they have been installed in Windows update history. They are installed in add and remove programs.

I have done everything in the Microsoft help page I.E downloading the 4 updates and installing them in safe mode.Uninstalling them and reinstalling them. Using Microsoft fix it and Microsoft Fix it 50202.

Should I just hide the updates?

Are they really installed properly?

Is there some other fix so they won't show up next time I search for the lastest updates on Windows update website?

any ideas?

Cheers

Uly
I too had this problem on my XP Pro PC and fiddled around with it for days until I found this thread & SPUNK.FUNK's solution.

My particular manifestation of the problem was with Windows Update repeatedly offering the same three .NET Framework KBxxxxxxx updates. While they never actually installed (as checked using ADD/REMOVE programs) they did clutter up my HD with multiple copies. The Windows Update summary erroneously listed each repeated update attempt as successfull.

Otherwise my initial experiences were similar to Uly's although the Microsoft FixIt 50202 tool just gave up with an "unexpected error and can't continue" response.

I too had to run the dotnetfx cleanup tool twice to be rid of all the corrupted .NET stuff but after that reloading it from Windows Update was straightforward.

Thanks SPUNK.FUNK!
Fiddler43

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.