Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hp dv2120ca notebook. I just reinstalled windows. It has windows xp home edition . sometimes it starts in first attempt and sometimes it starts in 3-4 attempts. Please help.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: windows start up problem ?? please help ?

yes i installed all drivers from HP website , all of my devices are working fine except wireless adapter .i guess i have some hardware issues with it. so i tried another external USB wireless adapter and it worked fine. this problem started i guess when i did BIOS update according to one of HP online chat rep. he told me to do a BIOS update from this link
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...1-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3289491&os=228

but for some reason i got this problem
i tried previous update from this link too
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...9-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&product=3289491

but that did't help me either ..
please let me know what else i can check to solve this problem

·
Registered
1 Posts

there might be some problem when u re installed windows,so its better to re-install again after unstalling the previous one.
first try to clean the drive by the help of disk cleaner sftware...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

yah sure i will try to do it one more time to make sure ..but i do reinstallation almost same way every time ..only weird thing this time was broadcom 802.11 wireless adaptor which sometimes worked fine and sometimes did't work at all .. i never opened the case to check wire connection if anything is loose ..that was the reason why i chose windows reinstallation jsut to check any conflicts with any other hardware .. anyways i will try reinstallation one more time and i will let u know the outcome here for sure

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for that wireless adapter drivers link "Riskyone" but i just wanna mention ..i never had problem with drivers ..its showing in good working condition in device manager but all of sudden when i do my next restart ..yellow light never turned blue in front panel .. i could never see any wireless adapter in device manager and in next few restarts sometimes it came back again. but right now i m not concerned much about wireless adapter but starting problem. its very annoying. Thanks for your help anyways

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

your welcome. What service pack are you using? you need to have atleast sp2.

Also if you to reinstall windows again because you feel you didnt get a good install the first time just post back and Ill give you directions on how to do a fresh install of xp.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I am using service pack 2 and later on i upgraded to service pack3 from microsoft updates ..i will do reinstall tonight and post results in here. Hopefully everything come back to normal. Do you think that BIOS update i mentioned above has to do anything with this ?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Since you want to do a reinstall of xp follow my instructions please.

Download the drivers you need first for the pc and burn them to a cd from a clean pc:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3289491
Note: go ahead and download the bios update also.

Nvidia Geforce Go 6150 graphics card here: (not from above, a newer update driver)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_185.85_whql.html

Wireless setup:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=3289491

The order of installing drivers:
Bios update
Chipset driver
Video driver
Richo 5 in 1 card reader
Synaptics Touchpad driver
Network driver (wired Lan)
Audio driver
Any other drivers you may need
Any security updates

Burn the above to a cd.

How to successfully start a fresh install of windows:

1. Enter bios, by pressing F1, F2, F10, delete upon booting up, depending on pc you have, Note: bios version and date while your in there.

Go to boot devices
floppy
cd/drive rom
harddrive
other deices (optional) varies on different pc`s.

2. Get a harddrive utility for the HD.
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Try seatools - works for other harddrives also.

If there isnt one for your harddrive then get one of these to use:

dban - http://www.dban.org/download
killdisc - http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

3. Run a harddrive test.
4. Run a full erase.
5. Remove cd disc utility
6. turn off pc
7. turn on pc and let it boot you should get a disc error (this is good)or missing OS.
8. Put your cd disc of windows in and reboot pc and press enter to boot from your windows
disc.
9. Install drivers
10. Install protection
11. Update windows

The reason for erasing harddrive with a HD utility program first is that it will erase
everything on HD, as formatting only prepares drive for installation of windows, doesnt
necessarily wipe out harddrive from information.

Note: Its always good to perform the harddrive test.

Please mark post solved under thread tools if this fixes your problem, ty.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for such a wonderful suggestion, Riskyone ..as u guys suggested i did reformatting and reinstallation of windows one more time. But that did't help either. so i reset the CMOS battery by taking out CMOS connection. I pluugged it back again and it seems working fine now. I restarted almost 30-40 times already but its starting up really nicely. Only one thing which is still a mystery to me is that somebody suggested me hard drive diagnostic test in BIOS setup and its coming back with #1-07 fail message. everything seems working now but i m worrying if anything bad will come back later. please suggest.
Riskyone thanks again, i will install the drivers in the same sequence. I have't done that part yet.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Ok after installing the drivers,

Run chkdsk:
start
run
typ
chkdsk /f /r (notice space between k and /, also between f and /)
error cannot lock drive
Would you like to run checkdisk on next reboot?
type
Y (press enter on keyboard)
Go ahead and reboot pc now.

Report back and let me know what happened?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Sure i will try this and will come back to you. Could you please tell me what this error means and do u want me to run checkdisk with or without installing drivers. what does it do chkdsk /f / r ..just curious to know ? Thanks for your time Riskyone ..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Okay Riskyone here is the situation i have right now
As u mentioned i ran chkdsk with f and r ..first time it stopped at 0 % when it was checking file and folders .. i waited for like 20 minutes and then i restarted my computer. In next attempt everything went fine with no errors ..there was absolutely no problem of restarting at this point
I installed all drivers in the same sequence u mentinoed in ur last post except bios update. I checked in BIOS setup and it was already F.3D version which is latest one. So i skipped BIOS update and installed each drivers in same exact sequence u mentioned.
there was no problem of restarting at this point too. everything was going so nicely
Then I installed all the latest updates,service pack 3, MS office pack and some of other softwares from Google pack. Evrything was good at this point too.
I installed windows live messenager and yahoo messanger after that. Now that problems came back again. i checked with battery, without battery just to make sure. But now i m at same exact point again where i started. its not restarting in first attempt. soemtimes its taking 3 sometimes 4 attemps to start. Please help. In hard drive diagnostic test in BIOS its coming back with same #1-07 fail message.
Please ask i am missing any other detail..

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Great Im glad to hear, but I would of not suggested doing a reinstall to fix this problem. I was too late to respond to you after "anand rungta" suggested it.

what protection are you using?

antivirus and antispyware and firewall?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

In this computer i m using AVG free antivirus and sorry i forgot to mention i installed that already after my drivers and service pack 3

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Uninstall the 2 messengers, (maybe got a bad install) add/remove in control panel

Go into my computer after uninstalling the messengers:
Program files - delete folders - yahoo messenger, windows live messnger
Show hidden files and folders
Documents and settings - your name folder - application folder - delete them here too.
Local settings - temp folder - delete everything in here, temp internet files
hide hidden files and folders.
C:\Windows\software distribution\downloads - delete everything in here
clean disc
defragment harddrive twice
reboot pc

How does it run now????

Install one messenger at a time and reboot pc.
clean disc
clean out temp folders again under document and settings
after each install of a messenger

Heres a suggestion look here:
http://www.pidgin.im/

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

yah i tried uninstalling both messengers and all the files you mentioned from all locations. but my problem is there
I have a hardware question here. All of sudden all of my cmos setup changed itself. When i started my laptop this afternoon. its asking me to adjust all time/date and showing CMOS checksum error. it used defaualt settings itslef. I started my laptop after pressing F1 and changed all date/time settings.
So my laptop's CMOS battery is attached to laptop motherboard and a black/ red wire is attached to motherboard. To reset i detached black/red wire jumper. I restarted my laptop without CMOS battery this time but my CMOS settings were still intact.
Do you guys think there is something wrong with my CMOS battery which is causing this problem. please let me know how can i check if my CMOS battery is bad and need to replace.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.