Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my PC:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Windows XP Professional- Service Pack 2
1022 MB Ram
186 GB hard drive
-AVG Anti-Virus Pro 7.5.447 and Malware Killer (includes: Ad-Aware, CWShredder, Nod32, Spybot Search&Destroy and Spyware Blaster)

For awhile I've noticed that my computer will restart itself instantaneously when running a specific part of specific programs. This happens during:

-Connecting to an online server in Battlefield 2 and 2142 (the game starts up fine, but when I try to join an online game my computer restarts instantly)
-Trying to record with Fraps 2.9.2. (the program will open fine, but when i press F9 to start recording my system restarts)
-Trying to open the 'Speech' settings in Control Panel

Recently I changed my computer's setting so that it would not restart after a critical system error and now i get a blue screen when running the programs above that says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00162AA4, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF78747F3)

*** sfng32.sys – Address F78747F3 base at F7872000, DateStamp 4249000b

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical Memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Re: Windows restarts when running certain programs

You may consider uninstalling and reinstalling your audio drivers (as sfng32.sys is related to soundforce audio drivers)...

That error is typical of a software problem (usually drivers, but it could be a conflicting IRQ which you could find in your device manager).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I have pretty good knowledge of using computers, but I don't really know how to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers. I know how to get into device manager, but how would i know if IRQ's were conflicting?

·
7,738 Posts

The device that was in conflict would probably have a yellow exclamation mark, or a red X over it.

Installing drivers can also be done through the device manager. Right click the device and you can select to uninstall/reinstall/update drivers. Just make sure you have new drivers downloaded before uninstalling the old drivers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

there were no devices in conflict.

When i select 'update drivers' my pc asks me to out in the install disk (wouldn't that just have the same drivers?) My drivers are made by sigmatel and i can't find them anywhere on the internet (using google)

·
7,738 Posts

What model is your sound card. We can help you find the drivers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I think my soundcard is build into my motherboard. In device manager under "sound, video and game controllers" it lists: 'audio codecs', 'legacy audio drivers', 'legacy video capture devices', 'media control devices', 'sigmatel high definition audio CODEC' and 'video codecs'.

·
7,738 Posts

Go to your Start Menu > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > in the window that loads click the '+' next to Components in the left pane > then click Sound Device and tell us what it says next to Name in the right pane.

·
7,738 Posts

Yea it seems as though it is an onboard sound card. In this case we would need your motherboard model :1angel: sorry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

"Board: Intel Coporation D945PSN AAC96906-402
Serial number: BTSN53200024
BIOS: Intel Corp"

i'm not sure if thats it though...

·
7,738 Posts