Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: windows product key

My issue is that a computer store sold me this computer, i found out that it was refurbished. It has windows 7 on it now but I looked closely and see the windows sticker on the side is for Vista. When I open the HD there are windows programs for 2007 I told the computer guy this and he said that is just when it was installed by HP and not when it was purchased. So I really need to know when my original OS was registered with M/S so I can see how long this computer was used before I bought it. HP is of no use.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts

If the sticker (COA) says Vista, then that is what HP installed on it. I hate to say this to you, but that guy was lying to you. I would be concerned that the Win 7 install, and possibly other programs, is a pirated version. Unfortunately, there are some disreputable stores and techs that will do this. If you find out that this is the case, report them to Microsoft. If they did it to you, then they have and are doing it to others.

MS Office 2007 came out at the same time as Vista.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

as for the things on the HD that show 2007, about 15 or so EULA ****,

Glob Data, Install, Install.res***, VC REd, VC REDIST I am just assuming that is when HP installed Vista but I would like to know when it was registered with MS by the person who bought it originally so i know how long it was used before I bought it. There is no sticker on the computer for Windows 7, how would I know if its pirated.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts

as for the things on the HD that show 2007, about 15 or so EULA ****,

Glob Data, Install, Install.res***, VC REd, VC REDIST I am just assuming that is when HP installed Vista but I would like to know when it was registered with MS by the person who bought it originally so i know how long it was used before I bought it. There is no sticker on the computer for Windows 7, how would I know if its pirated.
to be legal you must have been given a coa (Certificate of Authenticity) and in this case a disk since vista was the original os. from what you have said, it sounds like you have a pirated copy installed. as far as when it was activated, just look at the created date of the windows folder and it will tell you when win7 was installed. since vista was the original, there is no way to tell how long it was used before win7 was installed.

Protect Yourself from Piracy
How to Tell

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

is it possible that HP installed windows 7 when it was sent in to be refurbished, and would they not have put the sticker on the computer? How would I know if this is pirated edition of 7 and no i did not get a disk when I bought the computer.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts

is it possible that HP installed windows 7 when it was sent in to be refurbished, and would they not have put the sticker on the computer? How would I know if this is pirated edition of 7 and no i did not get a disk when I bought the computer.
if hp did it, you would have a sticker. the sticker is a coa. I already gave you a link on checking to see if it is a pirated copy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

when i checked with the diag tool the first 10 digits of the product key are all *****-****** but the id type says oem system builder and it does not show any date of install. is that the right place to look.

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts

since it says it is a system builder, then it is an illegal install. You cannot use system builder os on a computer that already had an os installed on it and you said the sticker is vista. In addition you should have gotten a coa and a disk.

the date of the install is the date the windows folder was created. just open windows explorer and navigate to the windows folder.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

While reading through that link i saw that SEcurity essentials can only be downloaded be genuine windows, which I have on my computer. Oh well, thanks for all the help anyway.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts

I dont mean to sound stupid but what is windows exlporer, do you think I should contact microsoft and see what they say?
windows explorer is just the file explorer. for example when you open mycomputer.

If you bought this from a professional refurbishment store i would contact Microsoft.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

Validate your OS - www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate

Run systeminfo - it will show an OS install date -
START | type cmd.exe | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | "Run as Administrator" | type/ paste the following -
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]systeminfo > 0 & start notepad 0[/FONT]
Several lines down - Original Install Date:

Run Belarc, get the system serial number, model number (top-right) and register system with HP -

Belarc - http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

HP Support - https://register.hp.com/americas/flowPage/registration/index.do?execution=e1s1&cc=US&lang=en

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts

While reading through that link i saw that SEcurity essentials can only be downloaded be genuine windows, which I have on my computer. Oh well, thanks for all the help anyway.
Never said it could not be genuine. Oem will be considered genuine even if it is an illegal install per microsoft system builders license. AND if you do not have the coa again, it is not legal per microsofts system builders license. You need to contact the person or retailer who sold you the computer for proper documentation.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I suppose when they refurbished the computer, the expert decided to install a OEM. A bit of a difference to selling a OEM copy of windows with a motherboard. But even an OEM must have to affix a Refurbished PC COA below your current COA. You should go back to them and ask to have it. It is valid proof that your copy of Windows 7 is real, and you may need it if you choose to wipe and reinstall your computer (e.g. If you current hard drive died and you installed a new one).

You can see the kinds of COA here: How to Tell

And yeah, give Microsoft a call about the matter. Even if your copy of Windows is or isn't genuine, you should be able to have a genuine copy, and they can follow it up with the person who may be in breach of their licence conditions.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,403 Posts

Did you paste the command in or type it in? It works fine here.
START | type cmd.exe | RIGHT-click on cmd.exe | "Run as Administrator" | type/ paste the following -
Code:
[FONT=lucida console]systeminfo > 0 & start notepad 0[/FONT]
Try typing the command itself - systeminfo

Press Enter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Hp did the refurbish, they have their sticker on the case of the computer, with the R before the # sign which indicates it has been refurbished. Is there a number for MS that i could call about this and if they find out if this is pirated what will they do?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.