Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows installer runs at startup

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I've searched the threads and tried what others have tried without success, so started a new thread. Please re-direct if necessary. Some time ago I tried to get access to a 32gb stick that came back as "write protected" (without success) and in the process attempted to download some drivers for it from a "search for drivers" prompt. Since then Windows installer starts up every time I turn on my computer saying "the software you are installing for this hardware -Generic volume- has not passed windows logo testing" with an option to continue or stop installation. If I stop or continue, a dropbox appears saying the software couldn't be installed, click finish to close.
I'm using XP with SP3, 2 HDD's, 2gb ram on an Asus mb.

#2 ·
Re: Windows installer runs at startup

You do not need any drivers for USB devices.
Go to Start/run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. After the Windows Installer is cancelled or fails, in the Device Manager, do you see any devices with yellow flags? If so, for what device?

#4 ·

When the installer starts, what program is it trying to install? It should be listed in the top border of the window.
If you don't see anything that it eludes to, try doing a System Restore to a time before this got installed.

#6 ·

Just completed cold boot and installer didn't start, so I have no idea what happened, it's been starting for the last couple of weeks, and suddenly it's not there?? However it happened, I'm happy with the outcome - will monitor for a few days and if it doesn't come back will mark it solved.

#7 ·

FYI I tried to do a system restore to an earlier time as I no longer had access to my second drive, but I could only restore to a time after the problems started.
Thanks for your help, now I need to know if I can delete stuff in the registry that's from old equipment I no longer use or have, like from old phones and programs I used a couple years ago?? Thoughts?? Or do I just leave the entries and ignore?

#8 ·

Unless you know specifically what files to delete, you should leave them alone. In the Future, if you have a software program that you no longer use and want to remove the Registry Settings too when you uninstall, use the Revo Uninstaller. After it uses the actual programs uninstaller, it will go to the Registry and highlight all the files there that are associated with the program and ask you if you want to remove them as well

#10 ·

Thanks for all your help. Computer has been restarted several times and the installer issue is now resolved. I've since used installer for another download and it works fine. There has been no further problems with it running at start-up.
Consider this thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.