Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a problem with a system I put together recently. Every time windows boots up it boots to the desktop, but then hangs completely for 4-5 minutes. Usually I can use the computer for like 15 seconds to a minute before it hangs. When it hangs, the entire machine is completely unresponsive. Then after the 4-5 minutes, the computer comes back to life and everything works perfectly. There are no error messages. It is driving me crazy and I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Since I couldn't figure out the problem I recently started from scratch and did a fresh install of windows all over again, but the problem persists.

There are no errors in the event view application log. If I boot into Safe Mode then I do not have this problem. I thought that might indicate a driver issue, but I disabled my graphics, audio, and ethernet drivers and the problem persisted. The only other driver that I installed is the JMicron JMB3X Driver from my MOBO disc. I'm not exactly sure what this does, but I couldn't see it in Device Manager so I couldn't test disabling it.

I have updated my bios to the most up to date version.

I hardly have any programs installed on my PC and a grand total of 3 startup entries defined in MSConfig, so it definitely shouldn't be taking 5 minutes to load those.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! My Belarc system specs are below:

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.50 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q8300
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5P43TD PRO Rev X.0x
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0502 11/18/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d
1500.29 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1490.39 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 [Hard drive] (1500.30 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy 3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 1500.29 GB 1490.39 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator 5/10/2010 8:50:22 PM (admin)
Stacy 5/10/2010 9:43:01 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account None detected
Controllers Display
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 [Display adapter]
Planar PE2010 [Monitor] (19.7"vis, s/n P78071JA03218, January 2007)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3C
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A34
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A35
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A36
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A37
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38
Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A39 Realtek High Definition Audio
Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
McAfee VirusScan
Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications Other Devices

1394 Net Adapter
Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (8x)

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
Re: Windows Hangs After Startup

What happens when it "hangs"? Can you move the mouse arrow?
Usually you have to disable everything and then one at a time enable each start up item until you zero in on the culprit. First try completely disabling McAfee as a start up item in Msconfig temporarily just to see what happens. You have the latest video drivers?
I'd test the RAM with the freeware MemTest86 just to be thorough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

When it hangs I can move the mouse arrow. Everything else is unresponsive. If I double-click on say, My Computer, then it won't do anything until after that 4-5 minute period when it's frozen, but once it's over My Computer will open.

The problem is not related to McAfee, I experienced it multiple times before I even installed McAfee. I checked though and it's not scanning on boot.

I disabled every single startup entry from MSCONFIG and am still having the problem.

I don't currently have the latest video driver, but I did have the latest video driver when I was experiencing this before, before I reformatted and reinstalled windows. Plus, since I already verified that this problem occurs when I disable my video driver I don't think it is the cause of the problem.

I also ran memtest for over 10 hours without a single error. Also tried booting with each memory stick 1 at a time and had the same problem with each of them. The memtest I ran is from a few years ago, I just downloaded the most current version and will run it today while I'm at work, but I wanted to see if anyone has any more ideas??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Memtest v3.4 ran all day today with 0 errors.

Is it possible for a virus to live outside of the harddrive so that it doesn't get wiped when the drive is formatted? I cleared my CMOS, I don't know what else to try.

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts

You might try running PC Check 6.5 off Hiren's Boot CD. This will test the rest of your hardware including that motherboard. Also try the stress test.

It might also be some sort of hardware compatibility issue - not my area of expertise. Self put-together machines are more prone to stuff like this.

Did you error check the drive at any point?

Are there any corresponding errors in Eventvwr under system, security, etc ?

Try updating the bios or rolling it back maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I ran PC Check's stress test with no errors. FYI, that boot CD seems pretty cool.

Ran the extended hard drive test using Western Digitals diagnostic tool with no errors.

There aren't any errors in any of the sections of Event Viewer from the period that the computer is frozen.

My BIOS is current, though this issue was also happening before I updated it.

If I remember correctly, when I first reinstalled windows I wasn't having this problem until I updated it to SP2. My installation CD only has SP1a. Although I'm not sure if this helps, I guess I could just stay on SP1 :laugh:. I think I'll try slipstreaming SP3 so that windows is updated before any drivers get installed and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Did a full format and then reinstalled windows with my SP3 disc. Problem started happening the first time windows booted. Restared a few times to make sure and it was still happening before installing any drivers or anything. Installed all drivers to see if that would help, but it didn't.

Took apart my entire system, cleaned out the MOBO with compressed air, and reseated all components. Problem is still happening. Verified my memory and processor are compatible with my MOBO from the manufacturers website.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I bought a new harddrive for the sole purpose of testing it out with my system. Sure enough, after installing windows on the new hard drive this problem is no longer occuring. Now I plan on returning the hard drive I just purchased and sending my old drive back under warranty for a replacement.

I did test my original drive with both the manufacturer's diagnostic test and MHDD, and neither one found any problems. I wish I had thought of swapping the components sooner, but oh well, I'm glad I finally found the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.