Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I search for a film on my drive, it only shows (.avi) files and not my (.mp4) files. Why does it do this?

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,530 Posts
Re: Windows Explorer Search Issue

The first picture is looking at external hard drive (F). Im guessing a flash drive?

When Windows does a search it doesn't look at the flash drive that is pluged in.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The first picture is looking at external hard drive (F). Im guessing a flash drive?

When Windows does a search it doesn't look at the flash drive that is pluged in.
Both screenshots are from my external HDD (3TB Drive). Still doesn't explain why the search doesn't result all my file types...

·
39,530 Posts

Go to the Start Menu > Type in: Windows Search > Click the Change how Windows searches > Click the Advance Button > Go to the File Types Tab > Scroll down to .mp4 and make sure the check-box is ticked.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Go to the Start Menu > Type in: Windows Search > Click the Change how Windows searches > Click the Advance Button > Go to the File Types Tab > Scroll down to .mp4 and make sure the check-box is ticked.
They are all checked off.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
39,530 Posts

When in a folder goto Organize (Top Left) > Folder and search options > Search Tab > Select the Always Search File names and Contents.

See if that works.

·
Registered
40,749 Posts

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

When in a folder goto Organize (Top Left) > Folder and search options > Search Tab > Select the Always Search File names and Contents.

See if that works.
That did not work.

Your External Drive probably has not been indexed since you added those MP4 files. Go to Start/Control Panel and in the search box type Indexing Options and then Modify. Improve Windows searches using the index: frequently asked questions
That did. Problem solved. Thank you.

·
39,530 Posts

Glad you got the problem fixed! Thanks Spunk for the extra help.

Please mark this topic as [SOLVED] by using the thread tools at the top.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.