Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Windows Can't Find Drivers for Printers

17K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  twistymcgee 
#1 ·
I have tried to install 2 different printers on my Windows 7 x64 system and both printers do not seem to be able to find an appropriate driver. I have used the supplied software disks from the manufacturer in both cases. I think this is a problem with my Windows setup, but I'm not really sure where to go from here. The manufacturers aren't sure what's wrong either but believe the problem isn't with their devices.

#3 ·
Re: Windows Can't Find Drivers for Printers

The one that I am trying right now is an HP Deskjet 3050. When it fails, I see the following error:

Operating system files missing
The following operating system files are missing and are required to install your printer. Please repair the files using your operating system CD and click Retry to continue installation:
C:\Windows\inf\usb.inf

I am not sure how to go about restoring that file or why it is missing in the first place.

#4 ·
#5 ·

That solved it. Now I can return this new printer to the store and use my old one that I thought wasn't working.

Where did that usb.inf file come from? Just curious as to whether I have the proper file to match my system, or is it a one size fits all situation?

Thanks, Rits!

#6 ·

Where did that usb.inf file come from? Just curious as to whether I have the proper file to match my system, or is it a one size fits all situation?
.INF is a setup information file for application setup.
An INF file is a text file that contains all the information necessary to install a
device in Windows O.S where INF stands for information.

#8 ·

.INF is a setup information file for application setup.
An INF file is a text file that contains all the information necessary to install a
device in Windows O.S where INF stands for information.
So it's OS version independent? I'm currently using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit so I just want to make sure I have the correct inf file for my OS. The one you gave me works, but if it's not the right version it may cause problems later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.