Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a very interesting problem.
I bought an Acer Aspire M3920 Desktop without any OS installed.
M3920 has the followig spec:
Acer Aspire M3920 Desktop - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

Next I install Windows 7 x64 Home Premium Edition on the machine. This is an original OEM Edition of Windows 7.
After the install of the basic OS you try to shutdown the desktop and it will not.
It will go as far as showing the shutdown screen with the rotating circle.
The circle freezes and nothing else.
Even after installing all the Acer drivers still the same problem, but with the difference that when you shutdown you will see the shutdown screen and then the screen goes blank but the desktop does not switch off. Only the 5 second hold on the power button switches the machine off.

Now I install Windows 7 32bit Home Premium Edition on the machine. Again only the basic OS without any specific drivers.
Success, the desktop performs a normal shutdown as expected.

BIOS settings are the same between both install's.

I do know that the M3920 uses an EFI BIOS instead of the normal BIOS. I do not know if this might have something to do with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Raoul.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: Windows 7 x64 on Acer Aspire M3920 with EFI BIOS does not shutdown..

Any Computer with 4 gigs or more of ram is usually a 64 bit system. Your PC is a 32 bit system which is the reason why it works under 32 bit.

Generally, a computer's bit count indicates how much data it can process, the speed with which it can process the data, and the maximum memory capacity. In order to optimize the computer's performance, the bit count of the operating system that is installed on the computer should match the bit count of the computer itself.

Click Start button
Type system in the Start Search box, and then click system in the Programs list.
The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system: 64-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system: 32-bit Operating System appears for the System type under System.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
5,760 Posts

When you install a 64 bit OS all the drivers have to be digitally signed or you will have issues. I suspect this is the case. Did you check Acer's website and see if there are 64 bit drivers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Patton,

Please read my post. As you can see I tried both 32bit and 64bit. The shutdown only works with the 32bit version of Windows 7.

AMD_Man,

Thank you. Yes, I made sure I downloaded the x64 drivers from their website. But this does not make any difference.
The funny thing is that Acer advertises that this machine is suitable for Windows 7 x64.
Acer Support: Specifications

On Monday, I am planning to get in contact with Acer to get to the bottom of this. Any advice in the meantime is welcome..

Raoul

·
Registered
3 Posts

I tried to get support from Acer in the netherlands (where I live) but they were not willing to help.
They even told me they never heart from this problem before :twisted:

Because I tried to install an other version then they delivered with the system it was a no go for them.

I even tried to install a fresh windows 7 x64 Home premium but this also did not work, although this is the same version they delivered with the system, so Acer have there image changed but not willing to tell us what they changed to get it working.

According to the answers I got on my questions I consider this "helpdesk" as very poorly skilled :twisted:

I ended up by just installing another motherboard (asus) that just works.

I never will be buying an Acer system in the future.

Ron

·
Team Manager - Networking
8,371 Posts
I even tried to install a fresh windows 7 x64 Home premium but this also did not work, although this is the same version they delivered with the system, so Acer have there image changed but not willing to tell us what they changed to get it working.
did you use the KEY that is written on the label of the PC - it needs to be the exact version as the label
COA and Hologram

if you used the key, not sure why they have a problem - as far as i understand its the use of the correct key

DO Acer legally sell machines like this in your country
I bought an Acer Aspire M3920 Desktop without any OS installed.
again my understanding in UK is you cant buy without windows - I know they where a lot of issues about this in the past when people wanted to use the PC with linux and expected to get a discount because they did not want windows

BUT I may be wrong as not a guru on this stuff

Re Drivers - did you install the chipset driver set first
Acer Support: Downloads & Support Documents - Desktop / Aspire / Aspire M3920
direct link
http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...ep3=ASPIRE M3920&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

normally after installing the OS - you then next install the chipset , then the rest of the drivers

Acer also have a tool to identify hardware
Download Hardware Vendor Detection Utility
http://global-download.gateway.com/FilesDownload/HWID/HWVendorDetection.exe

Are these copies genuine windows software - if illegal copies you may have an issue
BUT as i say , you should be able to use the same OS as on the CoA and if you use the KEY on the CoA all should be genuine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.