Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[SOLVED] Win7 "Local Area Connection does not have valid ip configuration."

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new house, and I'm trying to connect to the cat5 ethernet network. The router is fine, I can connect to wifi, but when I try to connect my computer to the hardwire it labels it as an "Unidentified public network" and can't connect.

When I run the Windows Network Diagnostic it says "Local Area Connection does not have a valid ip configuration."

I've rebooted my computer and the router several times.

I've also done some research into similar cases, and have tried the ipconfig /release and /renew commands in command prompt to no success.

If you need the print from the ipconfig command in command prompt, here it is:

Code:
C:\Users\The Overlord>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net.
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c54d:d4d6:31e7:e8c6%13
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bc84:9bcb:6c6:e996%11
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.233.150
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.tx.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : hsd1.tx.comcast.net.

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Tunnel adapter isatap.{9A89F784-333B-4EBC-B78E-E2511A54EE43}:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

The computer has been previously connected to the wifi, so that may influence some of the stuff here.

I'd really appreciate the help if anyone knows how to fix this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Win7 "Local Area Connection does not have valid ip configuration."

So the Ethernet adapter is showing an APIPA address which means it isn't connecting to anything, really. Can you give an idea of your setup? Are you just hardwired straight from the router to the computer? Is there a switch? Is the router also your modem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, the router is the modem. I think I'm connected through a switch, but there are other devices in the house (a sound system, primarily) that are connected through it and they work fine, so I don't think that's the problem.

·
Registered
90 Posts

So is the cable connected to the computer and runs straight to the router, or is there something in between?

You have the network settings on the computer set to obtain an IP address automatically?

Doubt that it would help, but you could also go to command prompt and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

Try to reboot the router or try a different port on the router

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The cable runs through the walls (it was built in) and to a switch, and from there to the router. I've been a bit afraid to switch ports on the router, worried that it'll mess up the other stuff connected. I have rebooted both the router and my computer several times.

I just tried the flushdns command. No luck, still not resolved.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Ok, with the APIPA address I would say that it is probably getting a connection from the switch, but doesn't know where to go to resolve the network connection. Seems like there is an issue between the router and the switch. Do you have other things plugged in to the same switch that are working? You should not have any issues switching ports on the switch or the router if they are your typical home router and switches. Does the switch and router have lights on the specific ports showing that there is a connection? You have a cable running from the router to the switch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Okay, so here's the situation thus far:

I've dug the switch out of it's little panel in the wall. It's a netgear 8-port ethernet switch. Three of the eight ports are active (they're all plugged in, only three are connected.)

Two are green, numbers 3 and 8. These, after some experimentation, are for the sound system. They're working fine.

One, number 1 is orange and flashing. The back of the switch says that this means that there's activity (the flashing) and the speed is 10/100mpbs (the orange color). Green apparently means that it's at 1000mbps. I confirmed that the orange one is the one for my desktop.

I switched the wire with another port, in case it was an issue with that particular port on the switch. Still orange, still not working. I'm not sure what to do from here.

I also changed the port on the back of the router/modem itself. No difference.

·
Registered
595 Posts

It should be from the modem/Router (PC) port--> netgear switch, from netgear switch--> audio equipment and computer.

It sounds like the modem/router is not connected to the netgear switch.

·
Registered
90 Posts

It should be from the modem/Router (PC) port--> netgear switch, from netgear switch--> audio equipment and computer.

It sounds like the modem/router is not connected to the netgear switch.
That is what I thought too, but if the network connection on the audio equipment is working correctly and it is already connected to the switch, then the switch has to be connected to the router, unless I missed something earlier

·
Registered
595 Posts

That is what I thought too, but if the network connection on the audio equipment is working correctly and it is already connected to the switch, then the switch has to be connected to the router, unless I missed something earlier
I agree.. but he did say only 3 lights were lit up. 2 went to the audio equipment and the 3rd went to the pc... no lights for a connection to the router.
The audio equipment might be talking to eachother and not need the internet.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Fizzysist,
are you still having an issue with this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hey,

Sorry for taking so long to finally respond. Been really busy. (Moving stuff.)

I did resolve the problem. In the end, it turned out to be a poorly wired cat5e port. Two of the striped wires had been switched, so I rewired the port and all is well.

Thanks for your help!:thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.