Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i booted up my computer this morning only to see a screen promt to choose from several different options.There were a list of options on the screen in white writing on a black background with each one being highlighted individually at quite a speed.Underneath it stated that i use the up and down buttons to choose an option.I choose default and windows booted up ok.I then tried to reboot again and the same prompt appeared ,,,any ideas what the cause of this is.thanks

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Re: Win7 not booting up properly

No immediate answer as to why it's happening but if you go into the cmd prompt and enter msconfig and under the subsequent General section, ensure that either of the top or bottom radio buttons are ticked. Under Boot, that all buttons are unticked. Reboot and see if that resolves the problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Could you note the options and let us know what they are? Then maybe we can know how to advice on them better.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

As the text is inverse it sounds pretty much like the menu you get when tapping F8 on boot, but I could be wrong.

The way it is booting up could be the Diagnostic mode under General but I've never used that option.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Ok i tried what Tomken15 suggested with no joy.So here is the list of options that are presented during the boot up process.
Windows 7 Vista/Server (Pointer)
Windows 7 Vista/Server
Windows 7 Vista/Server (debug-default mode)
Windows 7 Vista/Server (debug-legacy mode)
Windows 7 Vista/Server (no slic-pointer)
Windows 7 Vista/Server (no-slic)
Windows NT /2000/XP
Loader Help
Use the up down keys to highlight an entry.Press enter or 'b' to boot...Press 'c' for a command line.
................................................................................................................

After i choose default mode there is a full screen of datd that appears and at the very bottom is a 30 second countdown.When countdown reaches 0 the computer then enters windows normally.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I have tried System repair and it did not detect any start up problems.
If i were to try system restore do you think that will help?.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

System Restore did not work either.I was prompted to temporarily disable my Nod anti virus 5 software to run system restore, although when i did the message after system restore was that it did not restore to the specific point because i did not disable the anti virus software even though i did so.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Got the system restoted to an earlier date but that did not cure the boot up problem.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

Did you have a restore point availabe to take you back before this started happening ?

I just can't find anything further at all on this problem and it seems strange that it's only giving the options for Vista, when you are running Win 7 64bit.

Not sure if a sfc /scannow would produce an error report but you could try running that as an Administrator from the cmd prompt and see what it throws up. If it returns that it couldn't repair some files, then run a sfc /verifyonly and copy & paste that into your next post. Otherwise I can't help you with this one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes i restored it back to an earlier date before the problem.I have tried running an sfc scan but in the command prompt it stated that i must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility.Strange as it is showing C:\users\alan>

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

System Restore did not work either.I was prompted to temporarily disable my Nod anti virus 5 software to run system restore, although when i did the message after system restore was that it did not restore to the specific point because i did not disable the anti virus software even though i did so.

I also tried turning off winows firewall and no joy..this is turning out to be a bit off a run around..any info on this or the sfc scan would be welcomed.my last resort will be the computer shop,,,very last resort.lol..

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re:

Ok...after checking it seems that the machine did not restore to the earlier date as i expected.I tried again to restore it with firewall of and nod 32 disabled ,but its still saying i have conflicting anti virus software that needs to be disabled.I am not running anything else only malwarebites and Zemana Anti logger

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

First of all, to run a sfc /scannow as an Administrator, you have to right click on Command Prompt then select Run as Adminstrator.

As you keep getting this conflict with your AVs it may be best if you uninstalled them and enabled Windows Defender, then try the restore points again. The AVs should have there own uninstallers with them so after uninstalling, there shouldn't be anything left to conflict.

I've never heard of an AV blocking a restore point, but there again I just use Norton 360 on mine and other than it blocking the Internet once where I had to reinstall it, I've never had any problems. A reinstall of your AV may be something you could try to see if that resolves the conflict.

EDIT... I've just realized the Firewall you are referring to must be Windows Firewall which will be conflicting with the Nod 32. You will need to turn that off. You will get a conflict with two AVs running and after installing your own (if that installation doesn't auto-disable Windows Firewall) you should check to see if Windows is still active and disable it if it is.

It could be that it's Windows Defender that is active.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Thats just the bootloader. Normally trigerred by pressing the F1-F12 keys. And again it could be caused by pirated OSs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thats just the bootloader. Normally trigerred by pressing the F1-F12 keys. And again it could be caused by pirated OSs.
Is there any way you know of to by pass the bootloader or disable it.I got this computer with a back up disc of win7 copied onto a blank disc,it could well be pirated.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts

You could go into msconfig again and under the Boot tab, set the Timeout to 0 and see if that works. Just a thought.

Have you disabled the Windows AV to see if resolves the conflict ?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I read this after an internet search on boot up problems see below....i will try both of what you said in your last message now.

Install Easy BCD, and then go to Add/Remove entires section, highlight the boot entry you don't want, and hit delete button.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.