Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a BSOD which suggested it was caused by Win32k.sys, I looked up the web and it appears I am not alone. There was one suggestion it could be a corrupt Win32k.sys file and said to re-name the file to Win32k.old, then close the window, then go back to the system32 folder and you will have a new and non-corrupt Win32k,sys file.
I am loathe to do this without having a word with you good people My system is an OEM XP Media Center Edition and do not have an installation disc if something goes wrong.
Advice would be welcome, thank you.
Ron.

·
Premium Member
41,809 Posts
Re: Win32k.sys

Run this program BSOD_XP_v1.3_jcgriff2_PROD.exe. after it is done, go to My Documents and zip the file TSF_XP_Support and attach it to your next post. This will tell us more about the BSOD message and your computer setup.

·
Premium Member
41,809 Posts

Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature.l Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick of RAM separately. If you get any errors (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced. If all RAM tests fine. Then Run Check Disk on the HDD, go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. In the Command Prompt window type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I Downloaded Imgburn and the ISO from your sig. burned the ISO to a DVD using Imgburn as you suggested, made several passes with no reds and no errors counted. I then ran chkdsk in run. When it had finished I looked in Events and in applications Winlogon which gave the results of the scan, which were, Cleaning up minor inconsistances on the drive. Cleaning up 23 unused index entries $S11 of file0x9 and $SDH of file 0x9 Cleaning up 23 unused security descripters, then follows CHKDSK is verifing usn journal......etc.
I stopped using Chrome browser and used Firefox and so far have had no BSOD.
I would like to thank you for your professional help, many thanks.
Ron.

·
Premium Member
41,809 Posts

You are most welcome! Please mark this thread solved in the thread tools at the top.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.