Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 8400M GS graphics card 128MB on my laptop. DXDIAG shows directX 11 installed. Is it compatible with my graphics card. should i let it be as it is or uninstall and reinstall direct X 10.
my dxdiag file is attached for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
further to what i mentioned above- i am experiencing crashes while gaming. previously i have successfully played Mass effect 2 and bioshock2 on this system ( at low settings) with direct x 9.0c and direct x 10. thereafter i tried playing crysis2 at low settings which resulted in a crash i got a BSOD and the system failed to boot thereafter.
i tried repairing my windows using the windows 7 CD but even that failed. i tried a reformat and fresh installation but the installation stopped partway, giving error "failed to load ntdll.dll" and unknown hardware error "C0000221 - unknown hardError/system root\system32\ntdll.dll. i tried installing win XP sp3 but similar error recieved.

finally i formatted the partition back to FAT32 and was able to install XP sp3. then i reformatted to NTFS and was able to load win7. however now playing less demanding games like Fallout NV also is leading to game crashing. is this due to my fault in graphics card or due to drivers or due to direct x 11. have installed the latest Nvidia drivers (file version 8.17.12.6776).

kindly advise

·
Registered
720 Posts
Did you get the updated drivers from Nvidia's websites or Dell's? Driver updates should only be done through the manufacturer's website(Dell in your case)

Now, the card you have on the laptop is not a good gaming card( DirectX has nothing to do with it) Crysis 2 is a very demanding game for you card even on low settings, this is possibly the reason your system crashed.

You could also be overheating. Laptops don't make good gaming platforms because the lack of airflow. Try Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2 again to see if they'll crash or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i downloaded it from nvidia's site. may be its over heating but it used to heat up earlier also while playing mass effect but within limits... like it never crashed. anyways will check on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
well, the dell site has drivers dated 18 mar 2008. they havent been updated thereafter. moreover the drivers are for vista and no drivers are listed for win7.do you really advice me to install such old drivers?

also , i think the crashing is because of heating issues... which did not happen before i installed crysis 2. even older game like prince of persia is causing crashes now after playing for 15-20 mins. my system simply switches off in between and i have to reboot. i have run HW monitor and the fans are shown as working at 100%. what should i do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok. didnt have a compressed air can in hand.. but i have elevated the laptop to allow air circulation underneath and 30 mins of playing PoP hasnt crashed the sys. guess its due to overheating afterall...

can u please suggest ..apart from blowing air from outside to clear the dust, wat else can i do to keep the temp under control. i never had to bother about this in the past two years of playing games on this laptop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.