Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A previous thread on a similar issue is closed, so please forgive my bringing it up here. About 10 days ago, I decided to offload indexing from my ssd C: partition on Drv 0 to a new partition dedicated to indexing on my data Drv 1. In doing so, I ended up changing some drive letters. I then used Indexing|Advanced to change the indexing location to that new partition. All worked well.

A few days later, I bought a larger hard drive and cloned my Drv1 to Drv2, changing the respective partition sizes automatically to use the increased space. I then redid my partition letters in Disk Management on Drv1 to be unused letters, and made the new Drv2 letters the same as the original Drv1. In other words, Indexing had been located on "I" on Drv 1 and was now on "I" on Drv2.

Ever since, the Indexing service starts, but not Windows Search (see figure). The Indexing control panel is all grayed out and "not working". I can only select Advanced and then Rebuild. I cannot change location, etc. I've gone into Regedit and changed the Default Directory settings for Windows search to "I" etc. to no avail. I've deleted all folders under the default User accounts' ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data. No rebuild takes place. I even went back to a restore point but that produced the same errors. All related partitions have permissions set to full control for SYSTEM and my own accounts.

I still have Drv1 with its former Index partition and files intact, using a different letter.

All help appreciated - I would like to avoid restoring a C image and starting all over if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Win 7 Indexing Not Working Error 3:

SOLVED I was able to fix this myself by going into Control Panel|Programs and Features|Turn Windows Features on or off. I first unchecked Windows Search and rebooted, then turned it back on again and rebooted. Indexing started with defaults and I was able to redirect the location to my "I" partition. Wish I had done that first without going back to a restore point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.