Tech Support banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Win 10 desktop and taskbar refresh every time I open or click on an already opened program.

This might have started after an update a while back, I'm not sure.

If there are a few open programs on the desktop or their icons are in the taskbar, every time I click on one of them the desktop and taskbar black out and 'refresh'.

If I open a program from a desktop icon it opens normally. After that minimizing and reopen causes a refresh.
I uninstalled a few updates going back about 2 weeks but didn't help.

Still had the refresh problem. I then updated to install them again.

I then went into safe mode with networking and the refresh problem disappeared. I am still in safe mode but I don't know what to do now.

I just did a Windows Defender Offline Scan but that didn't help either.

Any help?
Thanks,
Angelo

·
Premium Member
42,036 Posts
Run a Clean Boot. If that works, you can keep it this way or you can add one Startup item or service until the refresh issue happens again then you will know the culprit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the clean boot. Turns out it was TaskbarTweaker 7+
I've been using this program for a few years.What happened now??

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,212 Posts
Probably incompatible with latest Windows Updates.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello. All of the above suggestions will not work. The desktop refresh has been going on since Windows 98. It is a never-handled glitch in Windows. In fact, I associated it with the demise of my Win98 but it still happened in WinVista, Win7, and now with greater frequency in Windows 10. Don't try any fix. It won't help. 7+ Taskbar Tweaker handles the taskbar only and you need to keep updating as MS generates a ruinous update.

I know it is worrisome but it has to do with certain changes in Windows/File Explorer. One example: Change the default program for an application such as a PDF reader. That'll do it every time. Try not to be concerned (I know it is hard).

Microsoft is interested in big things such as mining your data. It has no time to handle such a middling thing as desktop refresh out of the blue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would love to understand a few things….First why are you so dedicated to the program Taskbar Tweaker? What does it do for you that is so important that you have been and still are putting up with such an annoying glitch? The other thing I want to understand is you talk about this program having been giving you a problem since windows 98 and now according to the information you have provided you are on windows 10 pro how old is your machine or have you just using the program on whatever replacement machine you have moved onto? You also did not provide the specs of your machine other than being on windows 10 pro knowing those facts might be helpful.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I should have clarified. The question asked, in part, about desktop icon refresh. That was the part of the question I was referring to. This would not be related to a whole screen refresh desktop icons and taskbar icons also. I have never seen just the taskbar icons refresh.

As to 7+ Taskbar Tweaker, I have installed it for two reasons: (1) to get rid of those super-annoying thumbnails that pop up on mouse hover and (2) to get the small rectangles with a blue stripe on the bottom that signify an open program to open at the right end of the taskbar, then underneath if you have a double-high taskbar (which I strongly recommend). Windows 7 introduced a terrible 'feature' that had one of the rectangles open OVER the icon. I was able to overcome that some way. Then I skipped Win8 and Win8.1 bought a brand new Dell XPS-8930 (there's my machine) equipped with Win10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts