Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening :) Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I really wasn't sure where to put this as I'm not sure what is causing the problem with my PC.

For several months, after my PC's been on a while, say 4-5 hours it starts to make this noise. It's kind of like a crackling/clicking noise from inside the PC, I recorded the noise here if anyone wants to hear it, it's that clicking noise you can hear at the start. It will start off as an odd click here and there then will build up into what you can hear there. It's constant and very annoying and distracting as when it's in full swing it's about as loud as I would have my music.

My brother had the PC opened up a few times to clear for dust and checked all the fans (bar the one in the power supply) and it made no difference at all. Rebooting or switching off for 5/10 mins doesn't work either.

Things that DO stop the noise, at least temporarily, is making the PC think alot like opening a big program like Photoshop. Also if I draw with the Tablet or hold down the button on the mouse to draw in Photoshop makes it stop, oddly. Additionally, sometimes it will stop for half an hour or so for no particular reason, only to return later. But, if I am shutting down the PC, it does stop as soon as it's fully shut down.

Does anyone have any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated :pray:

·
Premium Member
19,891 Posts
Re: Wierd Noise from within the PC...

you need to open the case and run the computer as normal in order to pinpont where exactly the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

you need to open the case and run the computer as normal in order to pinpont where exactly the noise is coming from.
Because it's kinda loud, I've had trouble pinpointing it beyond that it's inside the PC, I think it's from near the back though at the top, but I can't say for certain. :sigh:

check a wire is not touching a fan blade
Checked that :( There doesn't seem to be anything, besides the noise stops temporarily if I make the PC think alot (like opening a large program) so I don't think it can be that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I know it's been a little while, but I thought I would come back and say thanks for the tips :) Managed to determine that it was indeed the PSU, but not the fans inside it making the noise, something internal in it. No idea what, but regardless I just opted to get a new PSU. I now have my nice quiet PC again :grin:

Thanks for your help on this :pray:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.