Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A laptop came inbuilt with Windows7 64bit.

Below are the specs (according to Speccy) -
Windows 7 Home premium 64bit Sp1
Intel celeron B810 @1.60 Ghz.
Sandy Bridge 32nm technology.
2Gb single channel DD3 RAM @665Mhz (9-9-9-24)
Packard Bell Motherboard SJV50_HR (cpu1)
generic pnp monitor (1366x768 @60Hz)
Intel HD graphics Family (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
1024Mb Nvidia getforce 610M ( ,, )
298Gb Western Digital WDC. SMART status: Good.
partition 0 16.1Gb out of 20gb full.
partition 1 29.6mb out of 99 mb full
partition 3 62gb out of 277 gb full.
Avast AV.

2 years old.

It was tad bit slow since the day it came, which I guess for the low RAM and 64bit. But it's getting slow and slow day by day. It takes several minutes to perform simple tasks like launching Chrome and opening a tab.

What might be wrong with it and what solutions you advice?
Thanks in advance.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Re: Why this Windows is slow?

The memory would be my first suspect . . 2Gb single channel DD3 RAM is on the low side for Windows 7 . . 4 GB min for best performance.

What is running at startup? . . What Antivirus and other realtime protection is installed?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The memory would be my first suspect . . 2Gb single channel DD3 RAM is on the low side for Windows 7 . . 4 GB min for best performance.

What is running at startup? . . What Antivirus and other realtime protection is installed?
I suspected that RAM too.

It's running Avast free version for protection.

Here are the startup apps.
[screenshot]

Attachments

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,754 Posts

Hi, I agree with Rich, you would need to add more ram and startup can be trimmed to only Avast, although this makes little difference once statup is loaded. Did you at any time have any trial versions or other AV programs installed (McAfee, Norton..).

Unless you use search a lot I would disable indexing for your drive.

We need more info, go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

echo > 0 & Tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 press enter

Please copy paste the notepad outcome here.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There is a lot that can be disabled . . almost all but Avast.
Hi, I agree with Rich, you would need to add more ram and startup can be trimmed to only Avast, although this makes little difference once statup is loaded. Did you at any time have any trial versions or other AV programs installed (McAfee, Norton..).

Unless you use search a lot I would disable indexing for your drive.

We need more info, go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

echo > 0 & Tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 press enter

Please copy paste the notepad outcome here.
Disabling those startups can be done from Ccleaner?
And yes, when the laptop came, it had Norton's trial version installed on along with many other unnecessary applications like Evernote.

I will run the commands tonight and post back what happens.
It's actually my friend's laptop but she won't understand these so I will be doing the tests and those to fix it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator, Editor, Articles Team
12,493 Posts

Hi,

You have a program there called 'Clean Master' from a company called Kingsoft. It appears to be a wannabe Ccleaner. You certainly don't need them both.

I would completely remove Clean Master from the system.

Might even be prudent to remove it using Revo Uninstaller. Don't bother with the free trial, scroll down for the freeware version.

Should I disable Igfxtray, Rthdvcpl, Power management - these too?
Yes, I would.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I disabled all the startup applications from msconfig except Intel's for now as Rich said.
I also disabled Ccleaner, but I don't know how it got enabled itself.

I attached the echo output text. It's not in English, but I guess you will understand the main things.

After disabling the startups, the laptop was tad bit fast. But nothing mentionable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Alright! Another 2Gb stick will be sufficient?

·
Registered
681 Posts

I was reading through the comments and didn't see any advice for crucial until I saw old Rich's post. Haha. I definitely agree with old Rich. Highly recommend Crucial for adding RAM.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,754 Posts

Hi, startup programs as I said make little difference to performance once the system is booted, although Windows will run without any items checked in Msconfig startup. I would only leave Avast.

Turning off indexing makes a significant difference to low ram machines, far more then startup items.

Now you have Avast does this have a firewall? If so you also have the windows firewall active, two firewalls do not play well, if you intend on keeping Avast I would disable windows firewall.

Norton is deeply embedded into any system it has been installed on, it must be properly removed, run this Norton uninstaller:-

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

And as stated your biggest improvment will come from adding more Ram, good luck, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

Hi, startup programs as I said make little difference to performance once the system is booted, although Windows will run without any items checked in Msconfig startup. I would only leave Avast.

Turning off indexing makes a significant difference to low ram machines, far more then startup items.

Now you have Avast does this have a firewall? If so you also have the windows firewall active, two firewalls do not play well, if you intend on keeping Avast I would disable windows firewall.

Norton is deeply embedded into any system it has been installed on, it must be properly removed, run this Norton uninstaller:-

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

And as stated your biggest improvment will come from adding more Ram, good luck, let us know how you get on.
You can go to Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS and run their scanner . . it will tell you what it has and what can be added.
Agree - add more RAM.
Guys a new problem arrived right after we disabled the startups.
The mousepad's scroll and zoom function doesn't work anymore and so is the volume button on keyboard.

Not sure what caused this... what to do?

Will run the norton uninstaller after this particular problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

We disbaled the ELAN touchpad driver, HP-driver and LManager driver in the startup list. Those caused thsoe. But the problem TEMPORARILY solved by going to control panel>mouse>default settings and then enabling ELAN in msconfig startup list.

Strangely, after enabling Lamanager, the volume button problem fixed but the mousepad needs to go through the same process to work after restart. Though ELAN is always enabled now in the startup.
What to do?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.