Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member and I am not sure if this is where my question belongs. But, my operating system crashed and I reinstalled it (Win XP Pro). Now a white screen appears before boot and I can not do anything such as boot from CD, boot in safe mode, or boot at all. I removed the hard drive from my machine and inserted it in to my friends machine and everything booted fine. AHHHHHHH. Its driving me crazy! Any suggestions?

P.S. I have a Dell XPS M1710 if that makes a difference.

·
TSF Emeritus
25,552 Posts
Re: White Screen

Hello britton89 and welcome to TSF,

The white screen only appears prior to XP loading???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On my machine, the white screen appears when I hit the power button. Its almost like a cloudy screen(going in and out) and I am unable to do anything else.

·
Registered
40,888 Posts

download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests with one stick of RAM in at a time for at least 7 passes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I can even boot from a CD. It doesn't give me any options. When the computer comes on, XP doesnt load at all.

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,715 Posts

Have you tried to access the bios try tapping the delete key as you boot then go to boot options and set the cd\dvd drive as first boot device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The external monitor is working fine. The only problem is that it says it is load Dell Media Direct. WTH?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

OK...now, using the external screen, I have booted in safe mode. It will not let me boot in regular mode.

·
68,715 Posts

you might try system restore to a earlier time when it was working

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I believe my problem was with SP3. When I did system restore, everything went back to normal. But now, it is automatically installing SP3 again. Thanks for everyone's help!

·
68,715 Posts
Your welcome

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.