Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question - I have reinstalled windows xp many times on many pc's after wiping drives over the years.

I have never done it on a laptop or with windows vista. I notice that the cd states 'product recovery' and not like xp a 'reinstallation cd with xp on it'.

Does the product recovery cd include a full copy of vista and the various drivers or exactly what is the cd.

The laptop does not belong to me and therefore want to avoid any disasters. They have numerous virus/bugs etc and the whole thing has ground to a halt. I have tried various software to clean up etc with little success. I would like to wipe the drive with the likes of DBAN (used before and like) and do a reinstall.

does this cd have a full copy of vista and the drivers to get me up and running again. many thanks for your assistance

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Re: whats on my toshiba product recovery cd

Hi,
In most cases a 'product recovery' CD/DVD will restore the computer to the original state when it was first purchased (the OS, Drivers, Applications). You will loose all personal data and applications that were installed after purchase.

Many of these recovery CD/DVD's have trail versions of Anti-virus, Office programs etc.
These may not work correctly until they are reactivated (may have to purchase).
The option here is to uninstall them and install something else that maybe free or the owner may wish to install.

Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi,
In most cases a 'product recovery' CD/DVD will restore the computer to the original state when it was first purchased (the OS, Drivers, Applications). You will loose all personal data and applications that were installed after purchase.

Many of these recovery CD/DVD's have trail versions of Anti-virus, Office programs etc.
These may not work correctly until they are reactivated (may have to purchase).
The option here is to uninstall them and install something else that maybe free or the owner may wish to install.

Bill
thanks - reassured after further reading that the disc will return laptop to factory state. what im not reasured on, is will the wiping of the drive with the likes of DBAN or kill disk prevent the recovery disc from formatting, creating partitions and loading OS and drivers etc

·
Registered
9,639 Posts

It should not. Dban or killdisk will zero out the drive and partitions, but the recovery disk will reestablish the correct partitions and format the drive accordingly to factory specs.

The recovery disk basically will do what dban and killdisk does as far as wiping out the drive, but it is not as good.
It will do a quick wipe out of the drive and a quick format. This may leave traces on the drive of unwanted items.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts

Not an expert here, but ometimes the recovery disk has the partition management tools and the PE to restore the PC with files from a protected partition on the HDD. B very careful about reformatting all of the logical drives or the recovery may leave you hih and dry!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am still somewhat concerned. It is not clear whether the recovery disc requires files held on a hidden and protected partition of the hard drive to reinstall and return to factory settings.

Obviously the likes of DBAN and kill disk will wipe ALL parts of all drives on the laptop. I have read the answers that say I dont need to use DBAN. I would like to use it as it wipes better than any recovery disk does.

I simply want to know if i wipe ALL drive partitions (including hidden and protected parts) will the recovery disc be able to return the laptop to the factory settings or does it need access to files on a protected part of the drive to do this.

Can anyone answer this clearly

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Usually if this is the actual Recovery CD for this computer. It will restore the computer to factory state including a recovery partition.

What is the exact model number of this toshiba?
Have you browsed the CD to see whats on it?

Bill
Toshiba Equium A200 - 1V0

I have browsed the cd (hundreds of files) and read the txt files but no clarity on the docs.

also read the manual and no clarity on whether the recovery disk requires access to any part of a hidden/protected partition or whether such a partition exists.

have email the query to toshiba but no reply as yet.

thanks for your ongoing assistance, will be very grateful if you secure an answer

·
Registered
9,639 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi,
According to the user manual if this is the original Recovery Media for this computer it will restore the computer to factory settings including the recovery partition.
http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_manuals.jsp?service=UK
Input your info

Location is on page 9-16
Many thanks for all your assistance. I spoke with technical assistance by phone and they confirmed the same. Stated that they if the recovery disc is included then it would work even if the hard drive is replaced.

What I have learnt is that if a recovery CD(s) is included then it is safe to wipe the WHOLE drive and if not included then it is likely the recovery capacity is on a partition of the drive and therefore not safe to wipe the whole drive

once again many thanks for you patience and support

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Glad to hear it!
If you have the Recovery Media (CD/ DVD) you should have NO issue.
Except what I posted earlier about the Security Protection and some Office programs.

I would do the reinstall using the Media (CD/DVD) roms you have.
Then post back if you are prompted to reactivate certain programs (Office, Security like Virus Protection and Malware).

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.