Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trendmicro Virus scan has not been catching some major trojan downloaders. I think i wont be using it anymore since it is a big loss of time big scan of nothing ! On the other hand Kaspersky rocks with its excellent database.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your right!!!

Yeah, I've also noticed that Trend Micro doesn't pick up even some basic ones... But, they all seem to pick up different ones...... Spy sweeper is pretty sweet, plus there really well rated...

·
Registered
30 Posts
PurpleSky said:
Trendmicro Virus scan has not been catching some major trojan downloaders. I think i wont be using it anymore since it is a big loss of time big scan of nothing ! On the other hand Kaspersky rocks with its excellent database.
I agree 100%! I have PC-Cillian Internet security and it has been missing a lot of trojans, viruses and worms. I just instlled Spy Blaster.

Would I be better off with AVG Pro, Zone Allarm Security or something else?

Can PC-Cillian Internet security and AVG Pro Co-exist?

Thanks.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
Hi Victor Green -

It's not a good idea to have more than one Anti Virus product on a system at one time, nor more than one firewall active.

This can cause conflicts within the system.

A good protection scheme has several layers. Using SpywareBlaster (this is what you meant?) adds another layer to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place, as do these additional measures:

• SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.
  • IE-SPYAD
    IE/Spyad places more than 4000 dubious websites and domains in the IE Restricted list. This severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites. A tutorial on installing this product can be found here
  • MVPS HOST FILE
    The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one that will restrict known ad sites form serving you unsolicited advertisements. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is the IP of your local computer. It can be downloaded here - MVPS Hosts file

We use Panda ActiveScan and Kaspersky Online Scanner to help ID the nasties.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Since many people here seem to be avid fans of online scanning, I would just like to say that an online scanner is NOT to be a replacement for an antivirus program that you can install on your computer.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
The fact remains.....even with onboard AV protection many users come to us with an infected system, and those online scanners will come up with something.

It's not good enough to simply have the AV product onboard. One has to make sure it is updated, (don't let the subscription run out for paid versions, re-register for the free ones) and actively scan with it on a regular basis.

My comments were directed to PurpleSky, agreeing with his assessment of Kaspersky, and offering Panda as a second good alternative. Also to inform any other users that having only an AV product is simply not enough these days.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Online scanners have their place, but it would be unwise to rely on them fully is what i'm saying.

I didn't say that having an antivirus program on your system is the only line of defense. I just said that it is better than using an online scanner (without an onboard scanner). It is much easier to have one installed on your system where you can set it to auto update the product. This lessens the need for human interaction and human error; "error" meaning failure to scan the system in a timely manner.

An online antivirus only protects your system when you run a scan. Actually, I wouldn't even say that they protect your system. How can something protect your system, if it is not in someway connected to your computer? It can't until you manually run a scan. If you don't have one installed on your system, then you are at risk of getting infected or worse. Even slightly outdated antivirus programs that are installed on your PC can provide a better than average level of prevention. Some protection is always better than none.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BTW: Its amazing that AVG Pro found and removed 5 trojans that Panda (on line, Virus scan) and PC-Cillian security suite missed.

FYI: Here is my AVG log after scans with Panda and PC_Cillan:

"","","Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.HTH","E:\WINDOWS\ms1.exe","11/2/2005 3:27:03 AM","ms1.exe","3 KB"
"","","Trojan horse Collected.Z","E:\WINDOWS\tool3.exe","11/2/2005 3:27:03 AM","tool3.exe","1024 bytes"
"","","Trojan horse Collected.Z","E:\WINDOWS\tool4.exe","11/2/2005 3:27:03 AM","tool4.exe","1024 bytes"
"","","Trojan horse Collected.Z","E:\WINDOWS\tool5.exe","11/2/2005 3:27:03 AM","tool5.exe","1024 bytes"
"","","Trojan horse Dropper.Generic.BFK","E:\WINDOWS\system32\ikldonpf.exe","11/2/2005 3:27:04 AM","ikldonpf.exe","22.5 KB"

·
Bearded Tech Monkey
1,058 Posts
I think you're totally right in that the various AV scanners will pick up some that others miss, and vice versa. That's why I think it's great that online scanners are available, so you can get a second (or third..twelfth) opinion. The only thing I ever put all of my trust in is my woman. :grin:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AVG does AMAZING jobs. Interesting how grisoft cares about its software. I completely gave up on trendmicro as it is a joke at the moment.
As an excellent online scan i am recommending bit-defender. It is real good. F-secure is interesting but nothing amazing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.