Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I am new to the forum, and I have a somewhat silly question to ask. I don't really know how to explain it...

I have my Windows XP SP3 setup to display the welcome screen and a password to protect my Account. It is the only account on my computer.. I am the only one who uses it. (I choose to have a password on my account for security reasons)

Anyway... the problem is... that when I lock my computer (via Windows Key + L) or start it up, or come back from standby, it displays my Username, but I have to physically click the name on the welcome screen to get the password prompt to appear. (This just started recently)

Before.... it'd already display the password field and I wouldn't have to click my username before I entered a password. So I could start typing my password while my monitor warmed up.

Waiting for my monitor to turn on and clicking my username to type the password is a huge inconvenience... is there anyway to make it revert back to how it used to be a few weeks ago?

Let me know if I need to clarify anything else....

Thanks in advance to all that can help me. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Welcome screen trouble

Problem is, I prefer to use the welcome screen... I have always had the welcome screen on... even in the before situation I described above. Usually when there is only one user, it will show the username with the password field already appearing... but recently i've had to click the username to get the password field to appear.

I've attached 2 pictures... one is how it would appear as default before and one is how it appears now (and I have to click it to look like the before pic)

I know it sounds a little ridiculous... but it's just an annoyance right now haha.

Thanks for the quick reply, by the way!

Attachments

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts

I don't know why it would have changed, but try this as a work around.
Press TAB twice, that should put the focus back to the password box.

You might want to try turning off the Welcome screen (and Fast User Switching), reboot, then turn them back on, that might clear it up.

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
4,586 Posts

Hello and Welcome to TSF,

You will need to click on the users name to put password in because
there is more than 1 user on the pc.

example: Administrator (System) and Administrator (your account).
Boot to safemode by tapping F8 when pc starts, choose safemode
you should see 2 names to log into windows now on the welcome screen.

If you dont want to click on the name then you will need to remove your password
so you dont have to click on the user name.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.