Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my computer started doing some strange stuff, when I was looking at a web page it looked like it was artifacting sort of, yellow green and red pixels were sort of blocked together on random parts of the screen.

I turned my computer off, felt the heatsink on my card and it wasn't hot at all. I replaced the VGA cable with a DVI cable and still had the same problem. Later it got even worse, the screen kept going black then turning back on a little later with the weird pixels.

I turned my computer off and reseated my graphics card and then turned it back on (it still wasn't hot) and it hasn't turned off since. All that has happened so far is some yellow pixels on my desktop that won't go away (only the desktop so far).

Could this be artifacting? I use to have a problem with my video card overheating but I got a PCI slot fan and that fixed the problem.

Oh I am almost forgot system specs.
I have Windows XP, 3200+ 64 AMD proc, BFGtech 6800 video card, 2 gigs of RAM.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
Re: Weird colored pixels on my screen

you left the most important spec out
the power supply
it sounds like the ram on your video card is on it's way out

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

420 watt Thermaltake, and if it is my video card then I don't think I will ever buy a BFGTech again, it only lasted 2 years.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

when you run underpowered it causes heat this heat can destroy the ram and eventually the psu will give up and go and can take most of the computer with it
if you are running pcie it does not supply enough amps on the 12v+ line
it barely supplies enough to run an agp card

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

when you run underpowered it causes heat this heat can destroy the ram and eventually the psu will give up and go and can take most of the computer with it
if you are running pcie it does not supply enough amps on the 12v+ line
it barely supplies enough to run an agp card
Well thankfully it is AGP, I originally bought it for my Radeon 9800 (I think that was it). Would you reccomend getting a new PSU or should I wait this one out?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

it is a low quality supply only the toughpower are classed as quality
check your voltages and tempretures in the bios to see if they are within spec
see if a friend will try the card in their computer to see if it is the card

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

How do you know if a PSU is low quality or high quality?

This is what was on my hardware monitor screen in BIOS

CPU fan speed 0 RPM (its spinning though)
NB Fan speed 5265 RPM
Sys Temp 31C/87F
CPU Temp 42C/107F
Vcore 1.34V
+3.3V 3V
+12.0V 11.61V
+5.0V 5V
Battery 2.96V
+5VSB 5.02V

·
Registered
112 Posts

Artifacts are usually the memory on the card failing. Don't blame the brand of the card either, they're virtually all made in the same factory, you'll probably even find that card has Hynix or Samsung memory. You could try underclocking the memory and see if it improves.

It may also be your monitor failing though, LCDs tend to do weird things sometimes, hard to tell by your description though.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well it is doing it again, weird colored dots all over the screen and the monitor keeps turning off it seems to be getting worse so I think I will have to buy a new PSU and video card.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts

How do you know if a PSU is low quality or high quality?

This is what was on my hardware monitor screen in BIOS

CPU fan speed 0 RPM (its spinning though)
NB Fan speed 5265 RPM
Sys Temp 31C/87F
CPU Temp 42C/107F
Vcore 1.34V
+3.3V 3V
+12.0V 11.61V
+5.0V 5V
Battery 2.96V
+5VSB 5.02V

Yep thats dieing, and the lines are ether caused by the power supply or bad video ram (caused by the powewr suppply)

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Well that is depressing, thanks for the info though. Any recomendations on a PSU? Maybe something that I can use in a new computer I plan on building sometimes in the next year. Just to get an idea of how many watts I would need, how much would an average medium to high end computer with SLI/crossfire need?

I was looking at some of the recommended ones and they are about $200 which seems like a ton of money for a PSU, so I was thinking maybe I should just get a cheaper one that would be good enough for now until I make a new computer.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Enermax. A 450ish would be ample for that system.

If you're wanting to keep it to use with your next system, you might want to go for something like a 620w Enermax Liberty. Depends on what you're going to upgrade to.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I am not sure what I want to upgrade to, but I don't want to upgrade yet because I use my PC mostly for gaming and there aren't any PC games worth upgrading for, for at least a while. When I do make a new computer though I want to make a higher end budget computer, that might not make much sense but it is usually what I do. Buy slightly older/not quite top end hardware. So I have no idea what that would be in a year from now, but what would a top end computer now need for watts?

·
Registered
112 Posts

Well there's top end, then there is just wasting money. A 620w would run a Core 2 Quad, 8800GTX and a bunch of drives. But if you're going for something like a QX9770, SLI 8800 Ultras, huge raid arrays with 8 drives, fans, peltier cooling etc, you'd need upwards of 1000 watts.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well there's top end, then there is just wasting money. A 620w would run a Core 2 Quad, 8800GTX and a bunch of drives. But if you're going for something like a QX9770, SLI 8800 Ultras, huge raid arrays with 8 drives, fans, peltier cooling etc, you'd need upwards of 1000 watts.
I was looking at a more practical "top end", not really looking to waste money. Would it be a good investment to buy a quality PSU now for a computer I plan on building a while from now? How long would a good PSU last?

·
Registered
112 Posts

Not sure, never really seen a good quality PSU fail from old age. I've seen a few fail, but they failed because they had a fault or from band input power, I'm talking failing within 6 months, and that's just what happens with computer gear.

The warranties on Enermax are 3 years I believe, so it should at least last that long.

Edit: Yes if you plan on upgrading in the near future, save the environment and yourself some cost by getting a better one now. The PSU I'm using was massive overkill before my last upgrade but it suits my current spec fine. Unless of course you want to sell your old machine, you can't do that so easily without a PSU. I kept all my old hard drives, case etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts

PC P&C is a very good brand. That should power just about all of todays systems, even an 8800GTX SLI setup.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.