Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to try hard to make my sites fit on an 800x600 screen, but lately I haven't really been doing that. A year and half ago, I made my sites thin enough (usually 768px) to fit on an 800 width monitor. Less than a year ago, I used a script to resize the necessary elements if(screen.width < 1024).

Is it worth it any more to make sites 800x600 compatible? I checked my Google Analytics account recently and found an extremely low percentage (something like 1% or 2%) of users browsing at 800x600.

I do use percentages to size things sometimes, but I never assign a percent value to an image because some browsers <cough>IE</cough> do a horrible job resizing them (the image comes out rather jagged).

What widths do you guys use when you make websites?

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts
Re: Website width

I'd stick with 800x600. I mean, at home, do you really use the WHOLE screen to look at a website? I usually run at least 3 programs constantly. It's up to you, but I just make all my pages pretty and if that requires them to scroll around, then that's up to them. Or if you'd like, you could just make two pages. One for each res. 1024 takes you to the main site, 800 takes you to another. I've never bothered, but I guess it's a personal thing :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, for me personally, the resolution on my iMac is 1920x1200, so I can afford to have quite a few windows spread out around the screen. And OS X has a relatively "floating" style as far as windows go, unlike Microsoft, where windows are usually fullscreen (or so I thought). You see, I was under the impression that most average Windows users used almost all their applications fullscreen. I know I did before I switched to Mac. That's why Windows users always come into the Apple store and immediately maximize everything and wonder why the green (+) zoom button acts funny on a Mac... :tongue:

I know that my mom, in particular, has her browser downsized on her 1024 display, but I thought this was a rare case. And aside from you and my mom, I still tend to think it is.

Part of the reason I'm thinking I should abandon my bending over backwards for 800 screens is the fact that so many popular sites (Apple, Yahoo, MSN, Facebook to name a few) have dropped their thin page designs for ones that fit neatly in a 1024 px window. I figured that if the pros are making the switch, it must be safe. Furthermore, if all these sites are so wide, then people must be very used to horizontal scrolling and mine would be just another wide site.

On the flip side, I'm working on designing the website for my own web design business, and if the page doesn't fit in their browser, that might not be a very good first impression.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

Touche... mom jokes eh?

That's what I was trying to get at, if the page doesn't look great as soon as it loads, many people click off the page soon after.

You can also check and see if they're using Safari and either write your page to suit the Mac OS users or... which I like to do personally, have your page run a never ending loop tries to open 'c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe' it drives them insane :p

Seriously, don't do that, they get mad...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Mom jokes? Where? I was serious about what I said about my mom's computing habits. If it seems a little weird I know so much about how my mom browses the internet, it might help to clarify that I'm only in high school, so I still live at home...

And I guess, as much of a hassle as it is, I might make separate 800 width and 1024 width pages. It's really important I don't make a bad impression.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

Of course, of course lol. I wasn't really offended, just bored and slap happy I guess.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

You need help writing a script to check for width and how to redirect to pages?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts

You should stay with 800x600, at least for the index. Horizontal scrolling for any page is a definite black mark. Your index should never require vertical or horizontal scrolling.

Not everyone has, or can use, the latest and greatest technology. I'm using a lower resolution than my hardware can handle because of vision problems (1024x768, might go lower if things get worse) and I don't want to buy a new monitor just so I can view certain web sites. Some sites breach the above rules so much I have to hook up my computer to my TV to view them.

At the end of the day, it's your call. If you want to essentially abandon those users, that's your choice. You never know if one of them would have dropped a large wad of cash on your site, if it did not require the user to scroll horizontally to see the product they really wanted. Horizontal scrolling is incredibly annoying, because most mouses don't have a horizontal scroll wheel/ball/joystick.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the advice, I will keep making 800x600 compatible sites.

And I'm all set with the scripting, ahmorrow, but thanks anyways.

·
God (TSF Enthusiast)
1,118 Posts

Of course, of course :)

If you could mark this post as solved, it'd be great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.