Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently I have started playing Warcraft 3 again and i did all the specified steps to make it so I would be able to host custom games on bnet. After forwarding all the ports in my router and configuring my firewall i still was not able to host. As i read dozens of forum posts on the matter i ended up checking my ports to see if i configured them correctly so that they would be open. Doing so i went to Shields UP! which checked your ports to see if they are open/closed/stealth. When i checked all my ports it says everything is "Stealth" which i think is my main problem but im not sure. If so i also looked to try to find a way to un-stealth my ports and have not found a successful solution.

Information.

Im running Comcast Internet
Modem: Motorola SBG900 (connected to Linksys)
Router: Linksys WRT54GS (incoming from SBG outgoing to Vonage)
Vonage Adapter

As for Forwarding here is the info and what i've done.

*Note* i have not touched my modem at all. could this be my issue?

My Firewall Configured

Port Scan by Shields Up.

This was just a common port scan. It shows that all my common ports are stealth, and also the warcraft 3 ports are stealth as well(i think all my ports are stealth).

Sorry about the ramble on and tons of pictures just i'd like to give you all the information i can possible give so i could maybe get a successful answer on how to fix this. Thanks alot!

*edit* my pictures arent showing so here are the links.

Forwarding Router:
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=ipconfig.f6e.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=portforward.jpg
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=portscan.jpg

Firewall:
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=exceptions.a6f.JPG
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=firewall.e64.JPG

Port Scan:
http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=routersetup.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Re: Warcraft 3 Hosting issue

Are you running DHCP on your router?

I found that I couldn't host WC3 games unless I went into my computers network settings and assigned it an IP address. When I did that I hosted games perfectly fine.

Hope this helps!

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,027 Posts

The Motorola SBG900 is a router, as is your secondary router the WRT54GS. I suspect you port forward in the WRT54GS, but the SBG900 is still blocking the way.

You'll either have to bridge the SBG900, which would be my first choice, or use it's routing function and configure your secondary router, the WRT54GS, as follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

kk im sort of slow when it comes to computer stuff. But you want me to go into my linksys router and change it to static and assign it an ip similar to my motorola modem and then do all the configurations through the modem. Also my modem (primary router in your explanation) only has 1 lan cable port (which i use to send the internet to my secondary router(linksys) and is plugged into the internet port(wan port? is that correct?) on there. I clan click disable on the dhcp on my linksys but where do i put in the ip adress similar to the modem?

*note* i messed up in my earlier post. the picture under port scan is my router configuration page which shows where i disable the dhcp.

again sorry for the ramble on. im just trying to get this to come to me clearly haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts

kk im sort of slow when it comes to computer stuff. But you want me to go into my linksys router and change it to static and assign it an ip similar to my motorola modem and then do all the configurations through the modem. Also my modem (primary router in your explanation) only has 1 lan cable port (which i use to send the internet to my secondary router(linksys) and is plugged into the internet port(wan port? is that correct?) on there. I clan click disable on the dhcp on my linksys but where do i put in the ip adress similar to the modem?

*note* i messed up in my earlier post. the picture under port scan is my router configuration page which shows where i disable the dhcp.

again sorry for the ramble on. im just trying to get this to come to me clearly haha.
I'm not quite sure why the modem is being called a router... The modem causes your to be able to connect to the internet (sort of like an electricity transformer so you can use it). From there it goes to your router, the router distributes the internet to the multiple computers.

When I was learning how to configure my computer to host my computer I found I needed a few things.

Port 6112 needs to be forwarded for TCP. I have the firewall on my router disabled.

On your computer you need to go to your network connections page. With vista go to network and sharing, off to the side on the left, click on manage connections. Which ever connection you are using (in my case I am on wireless), right click, go to properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP IP/v4).

Here you will see a bunch of bars, if you have the option "Obtain an IP address automatically" enabled, the first three bars will be greyed out.

Now you need to find out what your modem and router's ip are set to, by default they are 192.168.0.1 for the modem, and 192.168.1.1 for the router. What I have done in the past to host WC3 games is give myself an IP address instead of getting a random IP.

So what I do is set my:
IP Address to: 192.168.1.107 (I just choose a random number for the last section)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Note that the gateway is the router's IP.

Hope this helps you, it has always seemed a big mystery out there for people to host a Warcraft 3 games, and all the tutorials I ever found never pointed out the part where you give yourself an IP instead of doing it automatically.

·
Games Team | Tech, Networking Team-Tech
3,752 Posts

As it has already been said, that particular Motorola modem is a modem/router combo. You can also try forwarding this way.
Go to the status page of the Linkys router, and take note of the WAN/Internet IP address that is listed. Then connect the computer directly to the modem, do an ipconfig from a command prompt to figure out the default gateway, then log into the modem using that address, forwarding using the Linksys Internet IP address. After doing that, you can connect back to the Linksys router, create a static IP using this guide, and open the ports to your computer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

what do you mean by forwarding my linksys ip in my modem. my linksys ip is 192.168.1.100 (starting ip) or the usual 192.168.1.1 i dunno which one you want. But to forward in the modem the ip im forwarding has to be 192.168.0.***. There has to be a 0 unless theres some other way around that. i am able to connect to my modem and router through the internet at the same time so there is no need to directly connect to it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

there already is one. its under port scan at the very bottom of my first post. i got the pictures mixed up so it ended up being the one under port scan =x. sorry for the confusion

·
Games Team | Tech, Networking Team-Tech
3,752 Posts

For forwarding in the modem, use 192.168.0.14 . That should be the IP address the router is getting from the modem. After using that for the modem, then you can forward as normal in the router to your static IP (computer's IP address.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.