Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks in advance for your help. I am working on a Toshiba satellite laptop with windows vista on it. The gentleman who has me working on it put 3 different antivirus's on it. AVG, Norton360 and one other I cant remember the name of. I uninstalled these 3 and went to install Avast. Problem is, even tho the lan or wireless say's I am connected, when I click on the IE9 (only browser I have on here) I get a message saying "the webpage cannot be displayed." I notice that all the Microsoft updates can download, but I cannot connect to the web. I even shut off the Microsoft firewall, but still could not connect. Hopefully you can help me. I did not install avast, and the computer, thru the updates, installed Microsoft Security Essentials itself, and that won't even update. Hopefully you can help.

·
Premium Member
41,708 Posts
Re: Vista will not connect to internet

Go to Start/S3earch and type inetcpl.cpl and press enter/Connections/LAN Settings. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked. Now go to Start/Search and type ncpa.cpl and press enter. Right click the Local Area connection/Properties scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP-IP)/Properties. Make sure Obtain an IP Address and DNS Server Address Automatically are both checked. Now go to Start/Search and type CMD and press enter. IN the Command Prompt type ipconfig /release and press enter. the IP Address changes to 0.0.0.0 Now type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter. Now type ipconfig /renew. Now type ipconfig /all. You should have a new IP address try it again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Tried those, everything was correct up until ipconfig/release. Keep getting a message "the requested operation requires elevation." Where to go from here? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Problem solved. AVG and Norton Removal tool and a restart. Did some searching on the net. Thanks for your help, was greatly appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.