Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OS is Windows XP Home, Sp. 3. The video card is ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series. The main board is an MSI 890FXA-GD65 (MS-7640) 3.0 and the processor is a 3.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 955. However, the video card is manufactured by Gigabyte and not ATI.

I recently downloaded Age of Conan and was advised that my video card needed updating to ATI Display Driver Catalyst 11.6 or later in order to play properly. I downloaded the 11-12-_xp32_dd_ccc_ocl.exe file.

It is my understanding, however, that ATI and Gigabyte may have different software for the video card.

My questions are these: Is the file I downloaded the correct file? Can I simply run that executable file to update the drivers, or do I need to go through the process of removing the card, installing the new drivers, etc, etc.? Please in form me as to what to do and how to do it>

Thank you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Video card update

Thanks for the reply.
My OS is 32 Bit.
If I go with the AMD driver, do I ignore the fact that it's a Gigabyte board?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The Gigabyte graphics card users manual states: ATI Radeon HD 5870/HD 5850HD 5830 Graphics Accelerator

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If I sound overly cautious, it's just that I've been burned so many times over the years when messing with video drivers.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

The Gigabyte graphics card users manual states: ATI Radeon HD 5870/HD 5850HD 5830 Graphics Accelerator
What GPU do you have? If you don't know you can use Speccy to find out.
Speccy - System Information - Free Download
The GPU chip manufacturer, the link I included in Post #5, usually has the most updated drivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That's the file I downloaded the other day (see message #1). But my two concerns are that it is for a non-AMD board and can I simply run that executable file to update the drivers, or do I need to go through the process of removing the card, installing the new drivers, etc, etc.?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

The Mobo brand/model is not a concern. You want the latest drivers for the GPU.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thank you for your help and patience. I bit the bullet and executed the downloaded file. For the first time ever, a video update went flawlessly! It was a very professionally done update procedure.

Conan runs fine, and a Myst V game I have been "playing on" for ages runs much more smoothly.

Thanks again.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts

You're welcome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.