Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping my uncle rebuild his computer. He had an old but new MSI graphics card. I tried to put it in the new motherboard but it will not fit. I tried to use the VGA port connected to the motherboard but for some reason the moniter will not get a signal. Any thoughts. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Video card help

I just found that out. The old graphics card was use in an AGP8X slot., The new motherboard is using a PCIEX16 slot. So in other words i need to get a new card. The second thing is that why wont the VGA port on the motherboard work?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

The vga on the motherboard doesn't work because the machine isn't posting. Post all of the system spec including the motherboard make and model.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Motherboard is a gigabyte motherboard model number GA-MA785G-UD3H
AMD Athlon II X4 Processor with 2.8 Ghz True quad core
2.0 MB Cache
2 2GB memory sticks DDR2
500 GB HDD Western Digital

Need any more let me know

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Ok , Check to make sure the 4 pin motherboard plug is plugged into the board near the cpu. Also try bench testing the machine.

Post the ram speed as well.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

It looks like this

It must be plugged into the board.

To bench test a machine you simply assemble it outside the case with the bare minimum hardware need to post. Meaning no extra ram sticks , no hard drives or extra cards attached , ect... Then slowly add hardware till you find which is causing the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Lol , I wouldn't bother bench testing seeing as your power supply doesn't have the 8 pin connector actually connected to the board. Your gonna need this if you want the machine to , well , start.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Ok now bench test the system , basically that mean asemble the pc outside the case with the bare minimum amount of hardware it needs to post. No drive's extra ram , cards , ect... If it fires up then slowly add hardware till you find the problem. If it doesn't you may have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

So add no ram sticks or just one. dont plug in HDD. Dont plug in disk drives. And just listen for the beeps. is that basically it. would i plug in my monitor onto that

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

The board supports that cpu , however I'm not sure which bios version it was supported on , you may need to update it to gain support for that cpu. Or double check the cpu is in the socket correctly. Also try all your ram sticks by themselves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.