Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've searched everywhere for the solution to the problem but I haven't found anyone that shares the same problem.

I use D-Link G604T wireless router thats hooked up to 2 computers, a Desktop through an ethernet cable and a laptop via wireless. The router's working fine untill recently.

When I turn the desktop on, the ADSL light on the router starts to flicker then dissapears entirely and the connection is lost. By the time the computer is loaded, the router reestablishes the connetion.
When I open Firefox, Internet Explorer or (strangely) any folder (my documents etc), the same thing happens and the ADSL light goes off.
Any other program that uses Internet (MSN, etc) doesn't disconnect immediatly and works fine for a while then disconnects. After a bit, it reconnects again only to disconect when I attempt to use the internet.

The Laptop works perfectly. It doesn't disconect the router or anything. I took the ethernet cable out of my desktop and connected it directly to the laptop and it works fine there also. I think it's the desktop computer itself that's the problem. I can't use the laptop to get onto the net when the ADSL light isn't on.

The specs for the desktop is:
Quadcore Q660, 2GB ram, Nvidia 8800GT
Network Adapters are:
Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network adapter.
1394 Net Adapter
All are up to date.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapters through device manager, using the Repair under Network Connetions, and resetting/unplugging and leaving the router. None of these have worked :sigh:.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,033 Posts
Re: Very odd problem with router

Well, it sounds like you may have some sort of electrical power or grounding issue. There is no reason that traffic from the desktop would do that to the router.

If you have a small Ethernet switch, you could try sticking that between the desktop and the router, just to see if the electrical isolation changes the symptoms.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Very odd problem with router

Problem Solved!
I completely forgot about the router firmware and looked it up and installed it.
It fixed everything! Thanks anyway John.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.