Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told I could reconfigure an ethernet port on this versalink 327w to get it to work as a wireless router for my established cable connection. I have the user's manual as a word file, but I'm not gleaning anything useful from it as of yet. Could someone get me pointed in the right direction?

I've tried going to 192.168.1.1, and get nothing. Can't find server... From what I can see, I'm dead in the water until I get past this. Can anyone give me an address that works?

Thanks

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,618 Posts
Re: VersaLink ethernet reconfig

You need to tell us how you connect now, as well as what equipment you use.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Cable modem is a Motorola sb5101. Currently it's just the one pc, and it's connected to road runner. I have a VersaLink 327w dsl gateway I want to use as a wireless router.

I've read in several places that I can reconfigure ethernet port 1 and use this in conjunction with the surfboard - maybe by bridging? - but, as I mentioned before, the url that I get to go reset/reconfigure the VersaLink gets me nowhere.

· Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,618 Posts

Nope, you can't use the routing functions of that DSL gateway. The only thing you can do is create a wireless switch using the following configuration.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks a ton.

In case anyone else is reading this thread with the same idea;I thought i might save a little cash by using what I had around, but, in the end it wasn't to be, and I'm ultimately just gonna buy a router. They're pretty cheap, as am I.

I'm starting to become my father... Ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. For what it's worth, you gave me advice that I could follow, and I think I could've pulled it off.

Awesome service, awesome admin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.