Tech Support Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
I assumed it was my router
Hmmm, you are correct this is you router.
The Network icon in File Explorer is inconsistent and will not always show the shared computer. If accessing a remote computer often, you can Map a Network Drive and give it a Drive letter.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have no idea spunk.funk. It's all beyond my pay grade.

I would be interested in using Map Network Drive, but is that possible when the device that is mapped is not always physically connected (or even powered on)?

Tommy

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
It is not necessary to map a drive. It just adds a shortcut to the device. But if it is not always connected, it would give errors when trying to access it when it's not connected, sometimes when connecting it, if the information changed, it also might not connect via the shortcut. The easiest way to access any shared network device is to go to Run or Search and type the Computer Name (ie) \\ComputerName

·
Registered
2 Posts
How about cracking open the laptop, move the hard drive to the desktop & file copy between the two. You're now moving data at bus speed. No network stuff to deal with.

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
How about cracking open the laptop, move the hard drive to the desktop & file copy between the two. You're now moving data at bus speed. No network stuff to deal with.
Well, if you've actually opened up a modern laptop to replace the hard drive, you may find a lot of them take a lot of work and time to remove and replace the drive! Many of the newer models have abandoned the idea of swapping memory, disks, or batteries. Last time I replaced the drive in my Asus laptop, it was about a 45 minute job.

Reactions: tomohawk
21 - 26 of 26 Posts