Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to test the above and I intend to use the following procedures (attached and was taken from How to Share Files between Two Computers Using LAN Cable | TechWiser)

It basically appears to have 3 steps:-
  1. Enable Network Sharing
  2. Setup Static IP
  3. Share Folders
I am not familiar enough with the potential side-effects of doing this, so I have some questions;-

1. Is the network "sharing" specific to ONLY the 2 devices (PC and laptop) or am I opening up sharing generally to all devices in my home?
  2. Should I activate "Password Protected Sharing" and would that help to keep the "network" only shared between the 2 devices.
  3. By setting a static IP, am I effecting the normal, day-to-day operations of the PC and the laptop, or is this just an "additional" setup on top of existing (which will remain unchanged)
I apologise if some of the above questions are spurious, but I'm not comfortable following instructions unless I have a good understanding of what I'm doing.

Could I respectfully ask that any responders please read the attached document in full before responding, as there may be some instructions in there that are incorrect and if so, I would appreciate your expert input.

Thanks,
Tommy

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
The easiest way to share files between two computers is to have them plugged into the same Router or using wireless and Share Folders on each computer, then follow these instructions File sharing over a network in Windows 10. You can also just plug in a USB Flash drive in the Source Computer and drag and drop files onto it and when done, plug that into the Destination Computer and drag and drop them to that computer.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks spunk.funk.

When I make the transfer, it totals in the region of 120Gb.

My fault for not making this clear in the first instance.

I'm trying to understand the fastest way.

Tommy

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,855 Posts

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
I have gigabit Ethernet all around, and I get 60-80MB/sec transfers between PC's, or from/to my Synology NAS. Remember, there is a lot of overhead besides the raw bit rate, so you'll never get the maximum bit rate from any of these choices.

If I take 120GB and divide it by 70MB/sec, it will take about half an hour to do a 120GB transfer. Personally, I don't see that as a problem.

If I were doing this regularly, I'd consider a 500GB USB 3.1 SSD external drive, transfers to that will be pretty quick. You also have an intermediate copy in case of major issues. :)

How to Transfer Files from PC to PC Using/Without USB Cable | Check Your Full Guide

Reactions: tomohawk

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
USB 3.0 SuperSpeed (USB 3.1 Gen 1) - 500 MB/s
Fast Ethernet (100BASE-X) - 12.5 MB/s
Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-X) - 125 MB/s
Thanks SpywareDr

I have tried a test copy (40Gb) using this StarTech.com USBC3LINK USB C to USB Data Transfer Cable, Mac/Windows, USB 3.0, Windows Easy Transfer Cable, Mac Data Transfer - StarTech.com (amazon.co.uk)

The connection is as follows:-
TO: Laptop USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Type-C) port

I'm only getting transfer rates ranging from as low as 50MB/s to as high as 120 MB/s (copy and paste)

What am I missing?

Tommy

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
You will have faster transfer rate sharing files across an Ethernet network then any USB device

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will have faster transfer rate sharing files across an Ethernet network then any USB device
Thanks spunk.funk

I had a look at the details in the link you sent earlier and I'm unclear what the word "Share" means in the statement "It works for folders, too—share a folder, and all files in it will be shared. "

All my files and folders are obviously shared with myself (as I am logged on with my Microsoft account on both devices).

How does this help me transfer? If I connect both my PC and my laptop to my router, can I expect to see each (as a drive letter) in File Explorer and do a simple drag/drop or copy/paste?

Tommy

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
How does this help me transfer? If I connect both my PC and my laptop to my router, can I expect to see each (as a drive letter) in File Explorer and do a simple drag/drop or copy/paste?

Tommy
Yep, it's just like being there. :D Obviously, you have to enable sharing on the drives in question for the remote machine.

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
First you need to have the computer names of each computer. Then go to Networking and Sharing/Advanced Sharing and following the instructions, Enable File and Print Sharing, Network Discovery, make sure you are in a Private Network. Then Share a Directory or Folder. Then in File Explorer, or This PC you will have Network Locations, and this will show you all the computers and printers on your network that have Shared Directories/Folders/Files.
To bring up the remote computer type the computer name (ie) \\ComputerName and press Enter.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks spunk.funk

I managed to get that to work and I have some further questions (mainly to improve my understanding)

1. I set both the PC and the laptop as advised (no changes needed to PC and only "share file/printer" needed setup on laptop)
  2. When I go to File Explorer/network on the laptop, I can see BOTH devices by name
  3. When I go to File Explorer/network on PC, I only see what I believe to be the Router (Just curious, as it did not stop the transfer, which I controlled from the laptop)
  4. I transferred 44127Mb and it took 20.5 mins approx. That's a rate of 36Mb/s
  5. When I looked at the progress indicator screen during the process, there was a huge disparity in speed.
  6. It indicated a min of 8 Mb/s and a max of 110 Mb/s (see attached)
  7. Question 1 - Am I reading the indicator incorrectly, or is it just a piece of junk?
  8. Question 2 - Why does transfer rate vary so widely (if it does at all!). Both the PC and the laptop were simply idling.
  9. Question 3 - Any idea why such a low transfer rate, or what I can do to improve?
Thanks again to everybody for their assistance.

Tommy

Attachments

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
It's normal for the rate to bounce around quite a bit, and a lot of that will be based on the size of the files being transferred. Small files incur a lot more overhead per byte moving them than large files. Your transfer rate looks about normal for a gigabit link, there's all there is! Remember, besides the network link, you have to figure in the speed of each machine and it's disk access speeds.

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
... as well as what else that machine might be doing in the background.
Well, he did say they were idling, but I suppose Windows could be twiddling it's thumbs and taking up bandwidth. :D

A real consideration is the capability of the hardware involved. Laptops specifically frequently don't have the same bandwidth capability as many desktop computers. I've also seen wide variances in the gross thru put of different gigabit Ethernet ports.

I don't find it all that surprising that the overall speeds are not that great, it's the nature of the beast.

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
When I go to File Explorer/network on PC, I only see what I believe to be the Router (Just curious, as it did not stop the transfer, which I controlled from the laptop)
Your Router will not show up under Network Places. The Router is just a middle man in this process and it monitors which process goes to what location to avoid collisions.
Transfer Rates vary due to Processer Speed, RAM amount, running Background processes, file size etc. We all wish we live in a Star Trek era where things are instantaneous, but we are not there yet. If transferring large amounts of data, consider downloading Teracopy. This software monitors large file transfers. It gives you a more accurate transfer speed rate. If for some reason, the transfer fails, Teracopy will pick where it left off so you don't have to start over. You also can Pause the transfer if need be. Also a few other features.

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
I've used Beyond Compare for many years, it has a wealth of features for making copies and backups.

Font Parallel Screenshot Paper Diagram

·
Global Moderator
51,344 Posts
Thanks spunk.funk.

This is what I was seeing on my PC and I don't understand what it means, so I assumed it was my router.
It is your router. Depending on the features, sometimes the router will show up in the Network Places.

Since I have the Google WiFi mesh network between me and the router, I don't see my router. However, I do see the Google Mesh Network hub.

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Diagram

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Software

1 - 20 of 26 Posts