Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a p.o.s. emachine W3653 desktop.
2 gigs ram
Intel Core 2 Xtreme X6800 which is 2.93ghz
Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS
BFG 700W psu

Can my computer support an Nvidia Geforce GT220 that has DDR3 1gb ram? When my computer be able to run this card and how much improvement will I see over the 8400?

Also, I am not a very smart person and bought my sun the same desktop because it was only $25 used. We upgraded the processor to an Intel Celeron Duo E1500 2.2 gig. It also has a BFG 450w psu because the original one failed which was why I purchased it for $25 because it did not work. This computer also has two gigs of ram. If I purchase two GT220's will this computer with a slower processor be able to play games like C.O.D. 4, C.O.D.5, Crysis? Because most of these games claim that as long as you have a dual processor your good to go. They ask for 2.4ghz pentium 4.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Re: Upgrade Help

The core two extreme pc should be ok with a 220. The celeron machine however might run an 8600/9500 , that dual celeron will just hold back anything higher, it might as well be a 2/3ghz pentium4.

However both machines power supplies should be changed to quality units. BFG does not make quality power supplies. For a gt 220 specifically youe would need a decent brand 550w or higher power supply with 26 amps on the 12v rail and an 80+ certification. Quality brands include corsair , seasonic , thermaltakes toughpower , silverstone , pc power and cooling , or coolermaster.

You should also note since these are older oem gateway pc boards that they may not (and don't have to) support pci-e 2.0 cards. There really isn't anyway of knowing if the bios supports them except to simply try them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Wow! : 0 The jerk that sold me the BFG's told me that they were top of the line units! I am done listening to Best Buy workers! One of their other workers also told me that the Galaxy GeForce 8400 was one of the best video cards but really it is a piece of crap. It struggles to run GTA IV with every single setting turned down and COD 4 runs good but once again with everything turned down. I am almost done being a computer gamer. I started computer gaming this year because I didn't want to buy one of the next-gen consoles but it looks like I should have done it anyway. It appears all pc stuff just wants to squeeze out some more money from you.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Yea don't really listen to the staff at best buy. It's not good to ask computer advice from people that sell computers parts. They'll tell you anything to get the boxes off the shelves.

Computer gaming doesn't need to be expensive. It's only expensive when people buy the wrong parts , or don't buy powerful enough parts and end up having to get more hardware down the road anyway.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Your right. I should have taken that into consideration that all they were trying to do was sell things. What is sad is I saw a Geforce 9600 sitting next to the one I bought and he convinced me they were the same thing but one was cheaper. The one I bought was a Galaxy Geforce 8400GS 512mb with 1024 turbo cache that I thought was something spectacular and the other one was PNY Geforce 9600 with 512mb and I let him convince me the 8400 was better cause it was cheaper with more memory.

I also have one more question...what does it mean when a video card says it has dual ramdac and how do I hook up more than one card using the thing they call sli?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts

Theres no need to worry about sli as the two machines your using doesn't support it.

And this is the definitionof a ramdac

ramdacs are chips that convert digital signals into analog so that a CRT monitor can display the information. A ramdac includes a small static ram chip that contains 3 digital to analog convertors. When using an LCD display, the sram chip is bypassed, sending the digital signal straight to the LCD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.