Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4GB hard drive pulled out of an old laptop. I was trying to follow some instructions to install Linux on it (confusing as hell) and i accidentally formated the drive. Now the drive thinks it is only 30 MB, not 4GB. There is no data I need to recover on it so anything goes. How can I get this hard drive back to its original 4GB state? Help please.

If it helps, the hard drive is a Toshiba MK4309MAT.
It is plugged into my desktop with an IDE to USB adapter cable and shows up as an external hard drive.
The desktop is running Windows XP (and I don't want to do anything that could possibly mess it up)

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Re: Unformat a hard drive

Go into MY Computer. Right click on the 4 gig drive. It will give you the option to Format.
As you are probably a bit nervous about Linux may I suggest you try PC-BSD. The installation is virtually foolproof( I'm not referring to you) when it comes to the Partition page it show you the drives quite clearly. It's a lot more straight forward than Linux.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

umm... I'm sorry, that doesn't help me at all. You just told me how to format a disk. I don't want to format the disk, I've already done that. That's what turned my 4GB HD into a 30MB HD! I want to undo that and get my 4 gigs back.
As far as PC-BSD, it looks nice, but I doubt I'll be able to run it. I'm working with only a Sony Vaio PCG-505TS. Thats only 4gigs, a Pentium processor (just Pentium, no numbers behind it) and very little ram. However, if its so easy to install I'll look into it because Linux is a pain in the *** so far.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

its the partition that you got wrong

enter disk managment / delete the partitions on that 4gb drive / then re-partition using 100% of the drive >>>>> make sure to format with FAT32 as linux does not recognize NTFS ????

or you can wipe the drive with this

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Linderman.
Actually, I just figured out how to do exactly what you said on my own two minutes before you posted it. I was just coming to say problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.