Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a WD 15.3 G HD (model: WD153AA-53BAA0) that I cannot format. I am able to create and delete partitions but I get an "Format did not complete successfully" error message. I tried to load a new driver but it made no difference. I tried to find a Western Digital Diagnostic tool but was unable to one.

The OS is WinXP Home and this is a second HDD in the PC.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Re: Unable to Format HDD

That is a very "OLD" hard drive ! Here is the WD link to their diags this link is all over this forum a quick search would have found it WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS Its the same program for their entire family of drives. If you want a quick check download HDDSCAN then click the smart button and let us know if any values are yellow or red which indicates the drive is time to retire for good. Its had a long life they don't last forever.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Unable to Format HDD

It took a while to find it but I did find the WD Data Lifeguard Utility. The WD web site directs you to the Acronis WD program but I couldn't find Data Lifeguard on it.

Anyway, I ran the utility and it indicated that there were too many bad sectors thus confirming your guesstimate. I will take it apart for "fun" and then toss it.

Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.