Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a serious problem with my internet connection. right now, i am on a laptop, and it is not the computer that has the problem. i have a computer that can't connect to the internet. i go o network connections, and then to local area connection. i tried repairing it but i got a failure to do with the protocol. so i went to properties, and i found that my connection was only using "client for microsoft networks. no protocol, no packet scheduler. as you can surmise i was quite distressed. I tried adding a protocol and got the error message "Could not add the requested component. the error is: The system cannot find the file specified". please help, i would like to be able to connect to the internet.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Try this first:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

If that doesn't do it, you may need to do a repair of Windows.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the repair did not help, but thanks for trying. I don't think that the repair install will work because 1 I don't have anything but the restoration dvds and the hard drive partition and 2 this all occured after trying to install trend micro and it not working. i think that changes were made to the registry. would the repair install still work or help?

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
The repair basically restores the installation default registry entries for the TCP/IP stack and WINSOCK. If there are other areas that have been altered, this wouldn't affect them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i don't have a reset.log in C:\, its in C:\docum..\myusername
would that effect it?

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Nope, if the command executed with no errors, the log is probably in C:\WINDOWS\system32, which is where NETSH.EXE lives.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Uh oh

Just tying up loose ends. All of my problems are solved as of 7/7/08. This would be much easier without the 30s posting delay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
I am facing the exact same problem that you did. I am wondering if you could share with me how you fixed your problems.

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.