Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how I can turn those grey area in the image below to transparent? The image was extracted from a game but it has the grey color around it.

I try to make a new image with transparent background, then paste the mage and select those grey area and delete them. However, the edge of the CD graphic also affected as it also got deleted along with the grey color....

This image below has transparent background which I am trying to do on the one above...

Any help is appreciated.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Re: Turning the background color of the image to transparent in photoshop

Open Photoshop and go to File > New. Change the 'Background Contents' dropdown option from White to Transparent.

Paste your image into this new document as a new layer.

Select the Magic Wand tool and set the Tolerance level to 1 or 2. This will make the tool select only colours that are exactly the same as the point where you click with the wand. Higher tolerance levels will select shades that are close to the point where you click.

Click on the outer grey area, then hold down the shift key and click the inner circle grey area. Hit the delete key.

Flatten the image's layers and save.

(I know you already know the general procedure. The extra details are for anyone else with the same problem who reads this thread) :smile:

Another way would be to increase the canvas size from its current 254x254 pixels to 256x256, select the outer grey area, then go to Select > Modify > Expand by 2 pixels. Hitting the delete key now will leave the lighter grey circle around the edge of the CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Turning the background color of the image to transparent in photoshop

Thanks koala. :D

It works. Although there are still some pixels of the CD edge got deleted, it was an easy fix :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.