Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 3-15-09 I posted........

Recently my CD/DVD-RW (HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B) on my computer is not working. I put a disc in and see that the lights on my CD/DVD-RW come on and that the hard drive light lights up alternating with that of my CD/DVD-RW but when I go to "My Computer" a CD/DVD-RW drive is not listed. I go to my Device Manager and it lists HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B as my CD/DVD-ROM drive. I attempt to run Windows Media and Real Player. Each one said I have to have a CD drive in order to play/burn/rip a CD. I've gone to "Add Hardware" out of the Control Panel and select the HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B. I get a "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" message. I installed another CD/DVD-RW last night. It did not work. The same thing happened. Device Manager recognized the CD/DVD-RW but it wasn't listed under "My Computer" and Windows Media or Real Player. I went to another forum and found others having similar problems. I received a link for a driver from Hewlett Packard that was suppose to do the trick, but after I downloaded it, it didn't work. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks!!!!!

I received help and did followed what the tech help said. The CD/DVD player portion of my HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B works but I attempted to burn a CD the other day and received a message stating to install a CD/DVD burner.

On a side note I plugged my cell phone into my USB port. It recognized the phone but when I went to My Computer and clicked on removable disk where it was located, I received a message stating "please insert a disk" in the drive. I doubled checked to see if I was clicking on the drive where it was located and clicked on it again only to receive the same message.

Are these two issues related? Do I have a virus that is messing with my computer? I have McAfee and is updated automatically. Any assistance is appreciated!!!

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Trouble with my HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4165B....again

I attempted to do what you said with the instructions below:

Microsoft Windows XP
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Only I did not have "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters" in the right pane. Fixit4me said it couldn't run with my operating system. I'm running Windows XP.

Please help!!! I can't back up files without my burner!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.