Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everybody,

First, I want to apologize for asking the following questions, because I realize their have been many posted questions similar to mine on these forums and elsewhere online. However, I've never done anything like this, and I want to make absolutely sure I know what I'm doing before I attempt it. I thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

When my Dell pre-installed XP machine died a few months ago (expensive fan failure, so there's no HDD damage as far as I can tell), I purchased a new HP pre-installed Vista machine. Mainly I have quite a few files I'd like to get off the Dell and on to the HP, but ideally I'd like to dual-boot with both operating systems on the HP, keeping both OS on their respective drives.

1. I figure this probably isn't legal, but how much of a problem is that potentially? I have a valid 1-2 CPU license, and XP would only be used on one dual-core if I'm able to dual-boot.

2. My primary goal is to copy my XP files to the Vista HDD, whether I can dual-boot or not. How can I do this without buying extra accessories, and in such a way that I don't risk damage to any of my hardware?

3. Will it be possible to dual-boot, and if so, what order will I need to install the drives, what master/slave settings will I need to set, what BIOS settings will I need to set, and will I need to reinstall/restore either OS or reformat either drive? Also, will this dual-booting work with just OEM/restore discs, and will it work with two different models of motherboards and PC brands?

As a side note, the XP drive is IDE, and the Vista drive is SATA.

Thank you again for any information you can give me. I have actually read a lot of comments and opinions on all of these topics, but most of the information was conflicting, so I wanted some final thoughts before I go messing about with my hardware.

David

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.