Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I got my corsair TX 850W PSU, and I'm going to install it tomorrow. So far, I know I have to "plug in" the following:

1)24 pin mobo connector
2)4 pin mobo connector
3)CPU connector
4)HDD IDE connector
5)GPU connector
6)Optical Disk Drive connector
7)Fans' connector

Now, first off, is there anything else I need to "plug in"? Are there any other hidden places on my mobo that I might need to?

Second, which order should I do it in? My mobo is an M2N SLI, my PSU is non-modular and will be at the top of the case. My disc drive is at the top (front) and the hard-drive is at the second from bottom HD slot. Also, I have a fan on the side and just in front of the HDD. Which order should I do it in to keep it clean? There isn't really enough room behind the mobo tray to slot wires in, so I do know it will be a little messy.

Also, any other tips are welcome :)

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Re: tips on installing a PSU

I usually connect the large 24 pin first . . just to get it out of the way . . then I start with the connection furtherest from the P/S to be sure I have enough connectors.

If you have space above or below the Optical drives, you can stuff the extra wires in there. IAfter all the connections are made, I like to use zip ties to tie the wires together and move ot of the way of air flow across the CPU

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thanks. So roughly in order, I should go:

24 pin, 4 pin, optical drive, harddrive, GPU, CPU, fans?

Also, are there any pictures I can use to reference of which connectors connect to what? I do know them, but a few handy pics would be... handy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Thanks, that will really help :)

Are there any particular wires I should keep together when I'm wrapping them up in the cable ties?

That's the only question I've got, that site really cleared it up for me :D

[edit]
Also, as it's non-modular, where do you recommend I leave all the unused wires? I would say I could put them above my HDD, below my optical drive, but that would leave them stretching across the case, blocking airflow.
[edit]
do you think it will be easy/good enough to leave them right next to the PSU, on the left of my DVD drive?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

OK I've got a problem. The 24 pin connector isnt coming out. I push in on the latch and pull up with all my strength but it's physically impossible to do. Is it faulty?

[edit]
ok ive fixed that, but now it seems the PSU didn't come with a 4x1 pin connector, is it important?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

OK, I really really need help with this. I've plugged everything in, but when I turn it on, the fans start, the LED lights up, aaaand... nothing happens. The CPU fan isn't spinning, and i noticed a 4 pinnon connection slot (like a square) next to it. Only problem is there isnt a 4 pin connector with the PSU. what should i do?

[edit]
sorry for the quad post. Turns out I could use a 6/8 pin with the 4pin connection slot. It's all working and things are a lot cooler. Thanks :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.