Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running windows 95. I have a compaq 575E with an external modem. If I am reading something on the internet for about 15 minutes it seems as though i have to log off of everything to get back on the internet. my internet settings are fine. help please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for responding DJ Specs. Well, if I am reading an article and my computer is setting still for say 20 minutes or so then when I want to go back or go to another website, all I see is the hour glass but nothing happens so I have to close all the windows and get off of the internet and then log back on. My idle box in the internet settings area is not checked and I am sort of stumped on what to do. I am running Netscape 4.6. I have a Compaq 575e with an external modem. I know my computer is not new but I enjoy older stuff. :happyange

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Ok, it sounds like it may be your Internet Service Provider causing the problem. Alot of Providers will disconnect you if youve been Idle (or not surffing) for a certian amount of time. There are some programs that will attempt to keep you online by pinging your ISP, some are free, check out Cnet HERE!

If this isnt the problem, it may be Netscape, (wich I hope someone else can help you about because Ive never used Netscape), or the modem itself. Hmmm......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, thanks alot. I will try that and see. I had the same problem when I was using MSN Browser so it might me my service. Thanks again.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
WELL, I DID NOT HAVE MUCH LUCK WITH THE DOWN LOAD. I DOWN LOADED THE "STAY CONNECTED 3.5" BUT IT DID NOT HELP. I AM GOING TO LOOK AT IT MORE CLOSELY THIS WEEKEND TO MAKE SURE I FILLED IN EVERTHING I NEEDED TO. I CALLED MY SERVICE PROVIDER TODAY AND, ALTHOUGH THE TECH I NORMALLY TALK TO WAS OUT, THE PERSON I TALKED WITH DID NOT THINK THAT THERE WAS ANY SORT OF TIME LIMIT ON NON ACTIVITY. I WILL POST RESULT TO MAYBE HELP SOMEONE ON DOWN THE ROAD. I AM RUNNING AN EXTERNAL MOTOROLA MODEM. THERE MUST BE SOME SORT OF SETTING SOMEWHERE THAT I AM MISSING. OH WELL, I WILL HUNT UNTIL I FIND. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.