Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I run Thunderbird and use windows 7 on my laptop. I have two accounts on Thunderbird, one personal and one business. Whenever I click an email link, the personal account comes up by default but I want the business account to appear. I know I can switch accounts to the one I want but sometimes I forget and I send a business email from my personal email account. Is there an easy way to change this. I keep email address on an excel spreadsheet with other account information and I normally just open the spreadsheet and start clicking email addresses to send emails to my customers. It would be great if my business email would be the one to come up as the default address so I don't have to remember to switch accounts before I send.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Re: Thunderbird account issue

The prefs file is editable. I did it a long time ago. This looks like what I did:

Aral Balkan · How to reorder mail accounts in Thunderbird

I went digging in my profile folder and found prefs.js. In there, I modified the two lines shown below (my actual file has quite a few more accounts.)

user_pref("mail.accountmanager.accounts", "account4,account1,account3,account2");
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.defaultaccount", "account3");
That folder is probably in a path like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Profile Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[numbers&letters].default

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

To edit prefs.js, right click on it and open it with Notepad. There are dozens of lines; look for the two that most closely match those two (the ONLY diff should be the number of accounts). Whichever one is defaultaccount, switch the number to the other one.

You need to do this when Mozilla is not on.

You SHOULD DEFINITELY copy prefs.js BEFORE CHANGING IT (name it prefs.js.old) so that if you type anything wrong, you can undo that wrong :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The prefs file is editable. I did it a long time ago. This looks like what I did:

Aral Balkan · How to reorder mail accounts in Thunderbird

That folder is probably in a path like:

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your Profile Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[numbers&letters].default
I noticed a tool he lists in the article called folderpane. I really hate editing stuff like this by hand. Does this work by reorders the account pane?

·
TSF - Enthusiast
1,835 Posts

Just reordering the accounts probably won't do what you want. Try setting the business account as the default account in Tools>Account Settings.

Folderpane Tools works very well for reordering the accounts in the folder pane, BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

OK, I looked all over the pref to edit the lines mentioned here. I'm sorry but I can't find them. I am looking in Program File (X86)>Mozilla Thunderbird>defaults>pref>all-thunderbird
I just do not see the lines mentioned above. Is this the right path?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Just reordering the accounts probably won't do what you want. Try setting the business account as the default account in Tools>Account Settings.

Folderpane Tools works very well for reordering the accounts in the folder pane, BTW.
I opened tools >accountsettings as you recommended. I don't see how you can set or change the default account. Can you be more specific about the steps involved?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

I opened tools >accountsettings as you recommended. I don't see how you can set or change the default account. Can you be more specific about the steps involved?
IIRC (I don't have T-bird on this machine) that is called something like identities, rather than account. What it can do is specify the 'from' account as it appears to the person receiving the email. That is, it will send from the personal account, but it will either have a 'reply-to' address of the business account (if that's what you specify), or it may even appear to the recipient to come from that address.

That is a good workaround to get business contacts to reply to your business; however, the message you sent will still be in your personal.

Second post on its way...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

OK, I looked all over the pref to edit the lines mentioned here. I'm sorry but I can't find them. I am looking in Program File (X86)>Mozilla Thunderbird>defaults>pref>all-thunderbird
I just do not see the lines mentioned above. Is this the right path?
Wrong pref file -- that is where I first went to look for it myself a couple days ago when we were first posting on this. Here is where I found it (it's back in a previous post):

C:\Documents and Settings\[Your_Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\[random#'s&letters].default

At least, that's the path in XP, and it will be something similar -- docs&settings\profile\application data\etc in other windows systems.

The "Application Data" folder may be hidden; you may have to enable the viewing of hidden folders.

jw

[Edit: cause I was wrong] here's how to find the profile data -- it's actually a slightly different path in Win7:

Profile folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Was able to find it and have successfully changed the default account.
Thanks for all the help and links Jay. The link to profile folder in your last post did it. I was able to open the correct path to the right pref file and made the change.
Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.