Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do. Ive got a hard drive from an eMachines tower unit, that i wana put in another tower unity. Ive tried it without the other one, as main and slave, no good, does anyone know why?

Also, does anyone know how to enable the Network Interface Card?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts
Re: Take 2 hard drives into the tower?

Does the drive have an operating system on it? . . What Brand/Model is the p[c you want to put in into? Are you wanting to use if for storage or the main drive? Is the drive IDE or SATA?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi simp. Opperating system on it? The pc i wana put it into is a athlon. Main or slave doesn't matter, i wana retrieve whats on it more than anything. I can't see anything on the drive that says IDE or SATA. Its a seagate ULTRA ATA? Model ST380012A

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,253 Posts

That would be IDE drive . . check the jumpers to be sure the Master drive is jumpered as Master and the new one as Slave. Then look in BIOS to see if the drives are both recognized.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

By jumpers do you mean the grey wide wire that connects them? Ive tried them in all ways possible. Any connection to the tower with the drive i wana add doesn't allow the pc to boot up.

·
Registered
23 Posts

ok, on both drives, on the front, there is a bunch of pins, there is a block of 40 of them, that is where the cable fits in, there is also a block of about 8 that is just to the side of it. this block of pins will usualy have letters next to each row, these letters determine waht setting the drive is. you should see something along the lines of "M", "S", and "CS" next to these pins. There should also be a small plastic piece with two holes on the bottom and metal on the inside. make sure that this is placed on the "M" pins on the drive that was origonally in the computer and the "S" setting on the new drive.

Will the computer boot up if the only drive you have connected is the origonal one?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks guys, i had a look for the hard drive specifics and found out that if i take the jumper out on my particular HD, its works as a slave.

Thanks for your time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.