Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. Another problem in my laptop.
Whenever I try to start my laptop it tells me that it cannot start because a file on system32/config something... its missing or currupt, apparently its a common error, and it can be easily resolved by poppin in the windows xp cd, the problem is that I'm running windows xp media center, plus.. The cd its in the States and I'm in the UK, and I don't know when I be going back and I need my laptop to work...
Is there another way in installing the missing files in another way?
I cannot go to safe mode and go to recovery mode or anything...
What can I do?
Could I download an illegal version or something.. Would it work?

·
Banned
3,542 Posts
Re: System32 missing or currupt

Hi & Welcome.

"Could I download an illegal version or something.. Would it work?"

Sorry to inform you of this but TSF does not support nor offer links toward anything piracy related.

I'd suggest referring to this link on how to restore all missing/corrupt system files, as it's probably your best bet - or you could reinstall your OS. Coincidentally you'll need your original XP disc for both! :laugh:

Have a good one!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hi & Welcome.

"Could I download an illegal version or something.. Would it work?"

Sorry to inform you of this but TSF does not support nor offer links toward anything piracy related.

I'd suggest referring to this link on how to restore all missing/corrupt system files, as it's probably your best bet - or you could reinstall your OS. Coincidentally you'll need your original XP disc for both! :laugh:

Have a good one!
So there's no way in saving my files? :sigh:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm not sure, I don't think so. I'd try restoring your files and fixing your PC before thinking about reinstalling.
Hey hm, my friend just let me borrow a copy of xp, so I followed all the steps from this website..
http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

I copied all the files and followed every step

I rebooted my pc and windows xp comes up, but it never goes to the log on screen, I just tried opening it up from safe mode, and the pc stops here..

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

Is there anything that I need to reinstall?

·
Registered
141 Posts

Hi BigJapalapeno,

Do you have a computer you can put the disk drive in as a second disk to access the files.?

If so follow these instructions.

When you can read the disk as disk d: open a cmd window and run chkdsk d: /r if you have not already.

1. Make hidden and system files visble in folder options.
2. Look for folder d:\System volume information.
3. You will find it says Access denieged to folder.
4. Right click on folder and select properties and security.
5. Add administrators and check names then select ok and ok
6. You should be able to see restore points now in folder they will be called RPxxx.
7. Look for a RPxxx folder from the day before the problem and open it. (you can sort them by date)
8. open the snapshot directory and copy files:-
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT

Put them in folder d:\windows\system32\config

9. Get out of the d:\system volume information folder and remove administrators from security.
10. go to d:\windows\system32\config and rename the following files to oldfilename.
SAM
SECURITY
SOFTWARE
SYSTEM

11. Now rename the new files
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM----------to SAM
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY----to SECURITY
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE---to SOFTWARE
_REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM-------to SYSTEM
_REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT----------to DEFAULT

Note: there is no full stop in default.

Shutdown and put the disk back in its machine and try booting.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't have another pc where I can attach my hard drive.. but this is what I did. since it didn't work the first time with the rp that I choosed I picked another one, and this one worked, but now its giving me an error about something blah blah password, i cannot see the full thing because it just blinks for 2 seconds and restarts, does it on safe mode as well, and I cannot go into recovery console, tells me the administrator password is incorrect, its impossible to read...
I've been trying to google something up but I can't find anything in how to resolve this problem
Anybody got any ideas?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts

You will need the Administrator password for this,

insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
Choose the Windows Installation (#1) At the command prompt type chkdsk /r. This will repair any lost files.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

This thread will be reviewed further by a moderator. Not sure if we are allowed to assist with resetting passwords using that program..

If you didn't set a password, the password to recovery console will just be blank. Just hit enter and don't type anything in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

This thread will be reviewed further by a moderator. Not sure if we are allowed to assist with resetting passwords using that program..

If you didn't set a password, the password to recovery console will just be blank. Just hit enter and don't type anything in.
The thing is that administrator doesn't have a password and now is asking me for one... I don't know what the craic is, I've been reading in other forums and its telling me that it usually comes out to this if you go to the recovery console too many times or something...
Whenever it asked me for the administrator password I just hit enter and it usually goes, but most of the times I got into it, it didn't ask me for one, I don't wanna reformat the hard drive since I have so many files from work that I need or else I would of done it a long time ago...
Can anyone help me on this one please?

·
Registered
141 Posts

Dai and Coolfreak

Where does it say that someone has reset a password. What he is saying is that after using the files from the system restore directory it is now asking for a password where as before it did not have an administrator password.

When you copy the set of files from the restore point snapshot you can revert to previous passwords and security settings from the date of the restore point. You need to choose the retore point carefully to be as close to your current date as possible but before the system became corupt. If you restore a set of files from 6 months ago you will have a registry which will be missing most of your software.

If the problem occured 3 days ago pick a RP with snapshot files 4 days old and if passwords did change you should remember them.

Your on the right track with the system file replacements but in the instructions they talk about PR1 to RP3. The restore points can be from RP1 to RP999 etc etc .

Find the most recent on your machine and go back a day before the problem only.

You may have loaded the security from a year ago.....nbg...

Unfortunatly if it now is asking for a old Administrator password to get back into the recovery console you may be in trouble, think back to what date these files came from and did you have a password set then.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

Captainmark - The user spike2me posted a program to bypass passwords. Dai has edited that out so it's no longer there.

BigJalapeno - If you want to start over - just wipe out the hard drive using a third party program such as DBAN. A link is available in my signature. Keep in mind, if you use DBAN, there will be nothing left on your drive and you will have to reinstall Windows.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

BigJalapeno,

I am assuming the hard drive is a SATA drive.

If you need to try to save your data of the drive then you should invest in a desktop sata docking station and plug it into another computer to rescue your files.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642
Lame..
Since I guess y'all can't help me with this damn error that is giving me nightmares.. and I have to save my files..
What I think I'm gonna have to do is just get another copy of winxp media centre..
And reinstall it on my pc
My friend has a thing where I can plug in my hard drive to another pc and show it as a storage device..
I'll just go ahead and copy all the files that I need... and the rest can go to hell
reformat the hard drive and start fresh
But what I wanna know..
If I didn't have a password set up for my administrator account
Why is it asking me now..
Even after I accessed the recovery console with no damn password
Plus the times I went in, it didn't ask me for one..
What's the deal...

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

I'm not sure how the recovery console only asks you 'sometimes' for an admin password - that doesn't seem right.

f you are willing to just reinstall Windows - then just go ahead with that process. I previously mentioned a third party program that will wipe your hard drive clean and allow you to install Windows again. (DBAN)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions about this process. We are here to help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I'm not sure how the recovery console only asks you 'sometimes' for an admin password - that doesn't seem right.

f you are willing to just reinstall Windows - then just go ahead with that process. I previously mentioned a third party program that will wipe your hard drive clean and allow you to install Windows again. (DBAN)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions about this process. We are here to help.

Man... Would you really wanna reinstall windows after having this much problems?

I'm going to use SUSE now...
Since I can't save my files
And they're lots and lots
Windows suck

But thanks for all your help :wave:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

You previously mentioned that you had a friend that has a device that will allow you to plug your hard drive into another PC as an external device. I just assumed you were going to do that to backup your files.

Do you know anything about SUSE? Or any other alternative OS? Sometimes they can be more trouble than XP. We have a section specifically for Alternative Operating System's, so if you have any problems - post there. They will definitely help you out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.