Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, TechSupport! Long time no see (fortunately). I've got an irritating problem with my internet connection today, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. It's driving me crazy!

My family regularly uses AVG Internet Security on our computers (we have three at the moment: a dinky old desktop and two newer laptops). The computer having issues is an HP Pavilion DV6-1245x, running Windows Vista Home Premuim. Yesterday we went out to buy a new disc set, since our subscription expired. As I was installing it, Windows Firewall recommended that I turn it on -- "Sure, no problem!" And AVG installed fine, no problems whatsoever.
... Until I tried to get on the internet. My computer is the only computer that has the new AVG installed thus far, and it's the only one with this problem (I'm using the other laptop for to access the internet). I'm not sure if it's AVG's issue, or Windows Firewall's issue, but my internet will not connect to my laptop!
Every time I try to connect, I'll get a "Connection unsuccessful" window. I know my WEP key is correct, and the signal was just fine, so none of the diagnostics seem to prove useful for me. When I go back to the Wireless Network area, it'll say that I'm connected to our wireless internet: "Connected with limited access." So, clearly, I can't access the internet.
Here are the procedures I've tried out since (in chronological order):

1. Turn off Windows Firewall. Unsuccessful.
2. Uninstall AVG. Unsuccessful.
3. System restore to the point before AVG was installed. Successful! However, this only lasted through the night, because as soon as I turned my laptop on in the morning, it's giving me the same issue.
4. Install AVG again. Unsuccessful. Usually AVG requires updating when it's first installed, which I can't do since my internet's out.
5. Uninstall AVG again. Unsuccessful.
6. System restore again (it would only let me use the points created right before step #4). Unsuccessful.
7. Change my wireless connection's name/WEP key. Unsuccessful.

.. And that's that. Nothing's working. After hearing tips from some somewhat-computer savvy buddies, "it's probably a firewall issue," but disabling the firewalls hasn't helped at all. After browsing around on Google, I learned that if it works under Safe Mode with Networking and not in normal mode, it could be a virus -- however, it won't connect with Safe Mode + Networking either. I'm rendered hopeless and helpless, and I hope you guys can give me some tips. I need my laptop up and running again, and soon!

Thanks in advance,
Nira

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Sudden connectivity issues!

Hi there :)

My browser had "No proxy" to begin with, and Malwarebytes found nothing whatosever with a full scan.

·
Registered
420 Posts

can you connect in safe mode?

Limited access generally means one of three things are missing.

IP address: getting 169
Default gateway
DNS server

If you can get on in safe mode, then the issue is software, if not, something may be off with the TCP/IP stack and may have to reset them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

@2xg: Yes, I have. I removed/tried to connect to my connection again, and it failed. I even changed my SSID to see if it made a difference, and still no luck.
Here is a screencap of my ipconfig /all screen: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4751/ipconfigall.png
And there is still no luck without encryption.

@Xeneth: I can't connect in safe mode, either. Not sure what you mean or how to do the whole TCP/IP stack resetting thing, so if you think that's the problem, I'd appreciate a bit of a how-to! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts

@2xg: Yes, I have. I removed/tried to connect to my connection again, and it failed. I even changed my SSID to see if it made a difference, and still no luck.
Here is a screencap of my ipconfig /all screen: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4751/ipconfigall.png
And there is still no luck without encryption.

@Xeneth: I can't connect in safe mode, either. Not sure what you mean or how to do the whole TCP/IP stack resetting thing, so if you think that's the problem, I'd appreciate a bit of a how-to! :)
Your ipconfig is not showing the presence of a wireless network adapter. Are you sure your wireless is turned on (on the laptop). There may be a combination of keys needed to enable it (e.g. Fn + F11, for example), or a switch on the front/rear panel - read your user manual.

For that matter, it's not showing a hard-wired ethernet adapter either. The two Tunneling adapters are pseudo interfaces.

You should check in your Device Manager (I'm not familiar with Vista so somebody else could help here) and make sure you have the devices enabled and the correct drivers active.

I have attached a text file of my ipconfig output as an example (hopefully - it's my first time on here). You will notice the 3rd item "Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:" which is my wireless card. You will also note the IP Address "192.168.0.51" which is allocated by DHCP from my ADSL hub. This is the sort of thing you're aiming at.

This IP address allows you access to your local network (all of the computers attached directly to your hub). Internet access is a by-product of the local connection. I don't want to go deeply into that process now as it will only confuse you, but suffice to say that if you cannot connect to the local network, then you have no chance of connecting to the Internet!

You should have a similar entry in your ipconfig output, specific to your wireless ethernet adapter.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

@jwmp Oh, you know, I do actually have my wireless switched off for the time being. That might be why it's not showing up..

Correct ipconfig screencap: http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/622/ipconfigallcorrection.png

Sorry about that! Also, my Device Manager's reporting that both my wireless network adapter and ethernet adapter are working properly.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

I would uninstall the Wi-Fi Adapter, restart your computer, see if Windows will install the driver automatically, then test your connection again.
Sorry about that! Also, my Device Manager's reporting that both my wireless network adapter and ethernet adapter are working properly.
Do you have the latest Service Pack for Vista which is SP2?

Also, lets do another detail ipconfig /all => in run or search box type cmd, run as Admin press enter. Open up a command prompt then Copy and Paste these ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt . Please attach the .txt file to be found in your Local Disk 'C' on your next post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

@2xg: Yes, I do have SP2! Before I uninstall my wi-fi adapter, I just need to ask; how will I reinstall it if my computer doesn't do it automatically? I just want to make sure I have easy access to reinstalling it.

I've attached the .txt file you requested. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts

If you want to try it, commands are:

netsh int ip reset log.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog

The "log.txt" is where output is stored if you want to look at it. you can make it point to any location you want to store the log file.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Good point...
@2xg: Yes, I do have SP2! Before I uninstall my wi-fi adapter, I just need to ask; how will I reinstall it if my computer doesn't do it automatically? I just want to make sure I have easy access to reinstalling it.
If you have the CD driver or better yet download the latest driver from the Manufacturer's site, you may use either one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

@2xg Well.. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver.. And now my computer isn't picking up on any networks at all. It gives me the same results I'd get when having my wireless off. There are usually several networks in my area to choose from, and now it just says, "Windows cannot find any networks." Device Manager says it's working properly nonetheless.
I know I installed the right driver.. So I guess something screwed up... :(

Edit: Restarting doesn't help the issue, either.

·
Registered
20,461 Posts

Let's remove all your Anti-Virus and Security Software completely including all the remnants by using the Free version of Revo Uninstaller.

I have a feeling that the culprit is one your Anti-Virus or Security Software.

Please continue to report your progress.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

@2xg The only antivirus/security program I had on my computer was AVG Internet Security, which was uninstalled once I restored my system to a previous point. So, at the moment, I don't have an antivirus program installed. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I think I'm more concerned with the fact that my computer is no longer detecting networks. At least beforehand it was detecting my local networks, and connecting to my wireless with limited access... Does this mean my network adapter completely failed me?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

I did run the Revo Uninstaller, and made sure to remove any remaining folders, etc of AVG.
I'll run a System Restore right now, and look for my Vista CD in the meantime. I'll give an update once the Restore finishes.

Edit: I don't have a Vista CD on me. :\ And a question: will restoring my computer to its factory defaults fix my problem? That's a major sacrifice for me (as it would be for anyone), so I don't really want to do it unless I HAVE to...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.